Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > Team Forums > Minnesota Golden Gophers

Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Drocks
Forum Moderator

vCash: 200
Drocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud of
football 2014 Minnesota Football Recruiting Thread

*Star rankings and ratings according to Rivals.com (unless otherwise noted)

20 Signed LOIs
Jonathan Celestin - LB (6-1, 210) (5.4)
Mundy's Mill - Jonesburo, GA

Gaelin Elmore - TE (6-5, 238) (5.7)
Somerset - Somerset, WI

Isaiah Gentry - WR (6-4, 185) (5.7)
Moeller - Cincinnati, OH

Jerry Gibson - TE (6-3, 220) (5.4)
Theodore - Theodore, AL

Melvin Holland Jr. - WR (6-3, 190) (5.5)
Briar Woods - Ashburn, VA

Craig James - DB (5-11, 170) (5.5)
Edwardsville - Edwardsville, IL

Jeff Jones - RB (6-0, 198) (6.0)
Washburn - Minneapolis, MN

Julien Kafo - DL (6-4, 245) (5.5)
Vanier - Mont-Tremblant, Quebec

Conner Krizancic - WR (6-2, 193) (5.5)
Mentor - Mentor, OH

Brandon Lingen - TE (6-5, 245) (5.5)
Wayzata - Wayzata, MN

Connor Mayes - OL (6-5, 309) (5.6)
Van Alstyne - Van Alstyne, TX

Dimonic McKinzy - QB (6-0, 213) (5.6)
Wyandotte - Kansas City, KS

Gary Moore - DT (6-3, 276) (5.4)
Murphy - Mobile, AL

Cody Poock - LB (6-2, 234) (5.5)
Iowa Western CC - Council Bluffs, IA

Luke Rasmussen - OT (6-7, 270) (5.4)
Central - Brookfield, WI

Steven Richardson - DT (5-11, 280) (5.5)
Mt. Carmel - Chicago, IL

Rodney Smith - RB (5-11, 195) (5.4)
Mundy's Mill - Jonesburo, GA

Andrew Stelter - DL (6-4, 247) (5.5)
Owatonna - Owatonna, MN

Jared Weyler - OL (6-5, 280) (5.4)
Centerville - Dayton, OH

Everett Williams - LB (6-2, 220) (5.4)
Legacy, Mansfield, TX

Last edited by Drocks; 02-05-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Drocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Drocks
Forum Moderator

Drocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud of
Kill starts off 2014 recruiting with a VERY nice commit in Minny RB Jeff Jones, currently a Rivals top 250 4 star player. Would be huge if Kill can hold onto him for aiding local recruiting this year, as well as strengthening that RB core even more.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Dances With Gophers

vCash: 100
Dances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really nice
He'll drop to a 2-star once the word gets out that he's interested in Minny.

I don't care how many stars they have coming out of HS - Kill can flat-out coach, and that's what you need most at this level. Talent alone can get you only so far (see also, the Brewster experiment).

Hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work hard.
Dances With Gophers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
fink
High Fever Club

fink is a glorious beacon of lightfink is a glorious beacon of lightfink is a glorious beacon of lightfink is a glorious beacon of lightfink is a glorious beacon of lightfink is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting seeing a 4 star coming out of the Minneapolis City Conference. Not much competition. I remember playing against Washburn when I was in school (against Ra'Shede Hageman) and beating them by 40. The kid's highlights make him look shifty as hell, though.

"You will not win on the road in the B1G" -Ted Valentine
fink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
Buckingham_U
Chief Drunkard

Buckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Gophers View Post
He'll drop to a 2-star once the word gets out that he's interested in Minny.

I don't care how many stars they have coming out of HS - Kill can flat-out coach, and that's what you need most at this level. Talent alone can get you only so far (see also, the Brewster experiment).

Hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work hard.
Agreed 100%. Stars are nice, but it's better to have a 3 star kid who fits your system than a 4 star who doesn't.

Everyday is a great day to be a Badger.

"I just returned from the greatest college sports town in the nation... Madison, Wisconsin." ~Scott Van Pelt
Buckingham_U is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Drocks
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckingham_U View Post
Agreed 100%. Stars are nice, but it's better to have a 3 star kid who fits your system than a 4 star who doesn't.
I'd rather have the 4 star who fits my system

But on a serious note, Kill definitely has a method to his madness. He clearly couldn't care less about "stars" or any of that stuff, unlike his predecessor, but I'm sure he would take all the 4 and 5 star kids he could if they listened. Knowing the position he's in though, it's imperative he can figure out who are the kids with the right "fit", cause he's not gonna be locking in top 20 classes here, if ever. So that makes the extra stuff even more important, trying to gauge if they can handle it in the classroom, personality-wise if they mesh, etc..

Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
JellyBean

JellyBean has a spectacular aura aboutJellyBean has a spectacular aura about
No matter how many stars a player has, I just hope that they show up on game days and play. Looking at a team like Boise State and how their 2-3 star players are always playing with a chip on their shoulder, makes me believe that our 2 or 3 star players playing on a high level. I like what coach Kill is doing with the program.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Drocks
Forum Moderator

Couple new recruits to add: Dimonic McKinzy, QB from Kansas, and DT Steven Richardson from Chi-town.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Drocks
Forum Moderator

Couple of really nice pickups for Kill and crew, TE Gaelin Elmore from Somerset (complete with odd looking Rivals photo lol), which is pretty close to campus, and big guy Connor Mayes, brother of incoming freshman Alex. Kill's starting to win a few B1G battles, it'll be interesting to see if he hangs onto these guys and wins a few more of those battles leading up to signing day.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Drocks
Forum Moderator

Got a local kid, Andrew Stelter from Owatonna. Things going pretty well this recruiting season so far, hopefully him and Jones can lure some more kids to stay home.