Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
yaya551
Administrator

vCash: 30657
yaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond repute
ball Michigan vs. Indiana

#1 Michigan Wolverines vs. #3 Indiana Hoosiers

9:00 PM ET, February 2, 2013
Assembly Hall, Bloomington, IN
ESPN

yaya551 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
yaya551
Administrator

yaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond repute
Let's keep the discussion going in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
The good news is Burke should be fine against IU, because if there's one thing I would say IU has a weakness at, it's the PG defensive play. And you certainly can't move Oladipo because Robinson or Hardaway can score just as well as Burke. And possibly even better. Hopefully the refs don't bend Michigan over backwards in the upcoming game(I already know they will). I think Michigan is the better team this year after watching both play for a while, and I think they should get a win, but Assembly is going to be tough. For a lot of reasons, but I joke hope the refs keep it somewhat fair.

Michigan's record in Bloomington -Starting in 1970-71 and going through last season: 5 wins, 34 losses.

It's going to be a tough one in Assembly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfan View Post
Yogi is fine on defense and hopefully he has the quickness to stay in front of Burke. It's Hulls that I'm worried about if we try to play man-to-man. Zeller will be able to handle Horford/McGary just fine. I think a Watford-Robinson matchup is intriguing. I'm putting Yogi on Burke and Oladipo on Hardaway. Hulls did fine against a bigger Byrd last night, but Stauskas is a better player that Byrd. That's the mismatch for UM. If it becomes too much of an issue, you bring Sheehey in for Hulls, and make the matchups the following: Oladipo-Burke, Yogi-Hardaway, Sheehey-Stauskas, Watford-Robinson, and Zeller-Horford/McGary.

I wouldn't be surprised to see IU play a lot of zone to try and make UM shoot jump shots. Nor would I be surprised to see something like a box-and-one with Oladipo harassing Burke. It should be a pretty sweet game, but I'm taking the Hoosiers. Assembly Hall will be rocking and we have the depth needed to be physical with the Wolverines.
Quote:
Strongly disagree about Yogi. Burke will eat him alive on the offensive end, 1v1. No question about it at all. Oladipo would be a tough match-up for Burke(worst match-up possible), but if you put Oladipo on Burke then Hardaway and Stauskas will make up for the lack of Burke's points with their match-ups. IU does not match-up well enough defensively to beat Michigan straight up in my opinion. Meaning if everyone is healthy on both teams and it was a neutral court game with fair refs.

You can argue it all you want. IU will have to have an amazing offensive game(they certainly can because they're great on offense) to beat Michigan. However, Michigan has better match-ups throughout, offensively and defensively. Michigan has the advantage match-up wise.But if Oladipo does guard Burke and he can disrupt the flow of the offense enough, then that's how IU can take this game.

However, Michigan is definitely deeper than IU if Morgan is healthy. The problem being I don't think Morgan will be healthy for this game. So if Oladipo can disrupt Burke enough + Morgans hurt + Obvious ref help at Assembly Hall then IU will win. If this game was at Michigan and Morgan was fully healthy though, I'd take Michigan by 10. It's not though and Morgan isn't healthy, so it'll be close. I can see it going either way. The who guards who, and how much can the offense be disrupted. Plus the IU big men vs. Michigan big men will determine game. Morgan is the best defender we have, plus Mitch off the bench is better and more energetic than anything IU has to offer.

The lack of respect you give to Burke is what irks me though(well from what I think seems to be a lack of respect with the idea that Yogi can defend him). He's the legit player of the year, while your pre-season player of the year is looking like MSU's in football(Tom). Great hype, but nothing to show for it. Where as Burke got no love forever, and still was the better play and now finally is getting some recognition. I hope Yogi does guard Burke for the first half. He'll end the half with like 15 points + a decent amount of assists if he does. I'm sure Crean isn't that stupid though and if he is he'll adjust by halftime. It's not about being quick enough, it's being good at defense. Which Yogi is not on a defensive level that can even touch Burke. Yogi on offense is one thing, on defense against the best PG in college basketball, it's not even a discussion. The dude isn't good enough. Oladipo is because of size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfan View Post
I don't expect Yogi to shutdown Burke. Burke is too good for that. We just need to prevent him from dribbling into the middle where he can dish to his teammates.

The lack of respect you're giving Oladipo is just as ridiculous. He's a legit DPOY candidate and has been an absolute nightmare for his matchups all year. It has little to do with his size. He's a freak athlete with tremendous instincts and a much improved jump shot. He knows each player's tendencies and makes as big an impact on the game as anyone in the country. He'll be a lottery pick along with Burke this year.

Also, I think you're really underestimating the depth IU has. We have 9 guys averaging double-digit minutes and 5 averaging double digit points. Neither of those include Elston who just got back and Yogi has taken his offensive game to a whole new level in the last couple games. We'll be able to tweak matchups throughout the game and hopefully Crean will find something to exploit.

It'll be a good game no doubt. We'll get a few calls due to the arena, but I expect the same when we go to Crisler. We'll see how it plays out.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
yaya551
Administrator

Quote:
The lack of respect you're giving Oladipo is just as ridiculous. He's a legit DPOY candidate and has been an absolute nightmare for his matchups all year. It has little to do with his size. He's a freak athlete with tremendous instincts and a much improved jump shot. He knows each player's tendencies and makes as big an impact on the game as anyone in the country. He'll be a lottery pick along with Burke this year.
I very much agree with you about Oladipo, he's a beast and a lot of fun to watch. Well, when he's not playing my team, lol.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Hoosierfan
Defender of The Rock

vCash: 100
Hoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant future
The worst thing is that I'm probably going to miss the game. I'm in a wedding tomorrow, so I'll likely be drunk at the reception. Otherwise, I'd be at Assembly Hall cheering on my Hoosiers.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Guaransheed

vCash: 1600
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
All I'm saying is if Burke had the same length as Oladipo, he'd easily win the player of the year. Oladipo is a top 3 defender, but Burke is the overall best player in college basketball. Dude is balling out of his mind right now. Oladipo will give him fits, but a lot of that will have to do with Oladipo's length. Oladipo certainly isn't more talented or athletic than Burke. Whether you want to agree with me about that or not is fine. IU fans don't want to admit we have the best team in the Big Ten with the real player of the year.

Anyways, college gameday is on campus already. They stopped at the Tri Delt house on 3rd, which is right by my apartment. So that was cool to see on my way back from work. I'm excited for the game. It'll be nice to see how the teams stack up, in an environment that strongly favors IU in every way.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Ross Mackey

vCash: 750
Ross Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
All I'm saying is if Burke had the same length as Oladipo, he'd easily win the player of the year.

If I was 6'7" 245 lbs. with 10 percent body fat, and Brad Pitt looks, I'd be almost as incredible as I am in real life

As to the game, if these two teams' relative performances versus Purdue is worth anything, IU wins going away, especially when you consider how much leeway the refs will give IU (especially Zeller) playing in the Oblong Box....
Ross Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Hoosierfan
Defender of The Rock

vCash: 100
Hoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant future
Quote:
All I'm saying is if Burke had the same length as Oladipo, he'd easily win the player of the year. Oladipo is a top 3 defender, but Burke is the overall best player in college basketball. Dude is balling out of his mind right now. Oladipo will give him fits, but a lot of that will have to do with Oladipo's length. Oladipo certainly isn't more talented or athletic than Burke. Whether you want to agree with me about that or not is fine. IU fans don't want to admit we have the best team in the Big Ten with the real player of the year.

Anyways, college gameday is on campus already. They stopped at the Tri Delt house on 3rd, which is right by my apartment. So that was cool to see on my way back from work. I'm excited for the game. It'll be nice to see how the teams stack up, in an environment that strongly favors IU in every way.
We could play the what if game all day. I wish Hulls was bigger, faster, stronger too, but he isn't. I'll still argue that Oladipo is the better athlete, but Burke is the better all-around player. Also, I'm pretty sure I said a couple weeks ago that Michigan was the best team in the country.

It doesn't matter what happens tonight, because you already have your mind made up. I already know how the discussion is going to go tomorrow. If UM wins, they are an unstoppable juggernaut. If IU wins, then the refs must have given it to them.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
The Hoosier Express

The Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to all
Sounds like Yogi is going to open up guarding Trey.

Can't wait for the game! Freaking 9pm, bleh. Oh well I'm be biding my time playing some XBOX I reckon.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
The Hoosier Express

The Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to all
Haha Bether, Jalen Rose is wearing a red & white candy striped jacket right now. lol

Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
yaya551
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hoosier Express View Post
Haha Bether, Jalen Rose is wearing a red & white candy striped jacket right now. lol
Ha, yep, watching right now.

Sounds like Jordan Morgan isn't likely to play, which sucks.

This should be a great game, gonna be tough for us to win on the road and IU will certainly play tough. The crowd should be insane I'm sure.

If UM comes out playing like they did at OSU, this is a Hoosier victory for sure.