Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > Team Forums > Ohio State Buckeyes

Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Beanie Ginn

vCash: 500
Beanie Ginn is on a distinguished road
Urban Meyer not playing nice??

Last year when Meyer came on he immediately pulled a couple kids that were going to go to Penn St, understandable considering the problems they were going to face. But Mark Dantonio and Bret Bielema felt like Meyer violated the "gentlemen's agreement" in the B1G which was not to go after kids who had already verballed. Meyer says he just asks the question, if they are solid at another school he doesn't waste his time or the kids.

Well now he has been in contact with class of 2014 (and MSU verbal) WR, Drake Harris. He is an early verbal to Sparty and likely top 10 WR in the class of '14.

I see no problem with this, but a buddy of mine who is a Michigan State die-hard is not very happy with this practice.

Bielema publicly criticized Meyer for last year's actions which saw him flip OL Kyle Dodson from the Badgers to the Buckeyes on signing day.

You may remember Dodson from his infamous signing day speech (coolest announcement ever):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLT6Zh0E8Ag

Back to the topic, what do you guys think?

Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Other Big Ten teams need to grow up and shut up. If you recruit the player and produce on the field he'll stay committed. Quit whining if a player wants to go somewhere where he can actually have success.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Spartan Pride
Larry Caper

vCash: 200
Spartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond repute
Dantonio already said his comments were taken out of context.

With that being said, obviously Urban Meyer is not a guy who would in a million years dream of helping anyone other than himself.
Spartan Pride is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

vCash: 102000
ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
Other Big Ten teams need to grow up and shut up. If you recruit the player and produce on the field he'll stay committed. Quit whining if a player wants to go somewhere where he can actually have success.
I would agree. The only issue I would have is if a player said he was committed to a school and asked not to be contacted and a coach / staff kept on with a hard sell/car salesman or timeshare approach. If there is anything of a gentleman's agreement, that would be it.

I do favor a ealry signing period though like there is in basketball, with a minor out clause in case of sanctions or coach firing between the early signing period and national signing day
Aggie Country Here I come this fall! Gig' Em!
ohiobuckinut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Hosker

Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
The way I remember it is that Bielema's comments weren't about Meyer flipping any recruits, they were about Meyer using burner phones to contact recruits during the dead-peariod.... Obviously we don't know if that is actually the case, but that certainly would go against any gentlemen's agreement as well. And if it is the case Meyer owes a big one to Bielema and Delaney for settling the issue privately.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
The way I remember it is that Bielema's comments weren't about Meyer flipping any recruits, they were about Meyer using burner phones to contact recruits during the dead-peariod.... Obviously we don't know if that is actually the case, but that certainly would go against any gentlemen's agreement as well. And if it is the case Meyer owes a big one to Bielema and Delaney for settling the issue privately.
This is a new accusation to me, but If this is what is being said, how was it settled privately is the accusations are publicly made on a message board.

Using a burner phone sounds like something that would be against NCAA rules, not something part of a gentleman's agreement

Old 01-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Hosker

Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckinut View Post
This is a new accusation to me, but If this is what is being said, how was it settled privately is the accusations are publicly made on a message board.

Using a burner phone sounds like something that would be against NCAA rules, not something part of a gentleman's agreement
Maybe the same way we found out about NU, MD, and Rutgers joining the league before they actually did? People talk, idk, its just what I was told at the time.

It is against NCAA rules, which is why Meyer owes Bielima and Delaney a big thank-you if its true.

I personally find it easier to believe than I Bielima publicly calling out another coach for flipping a commit (which is not an "SEC-tactic", burners on the other hand....) - and then meeting Delaney over the matter. Something with that just doesn't add up in my eyes.... Either way, by doing what he did, Bielima put the public spot-light on Meyer without actually accusing him of NCAA violations.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Bighouseblue

Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckinut View Post

What is this guy, part of Al Queda.
Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
Maybe the same way we found out about NU, MD, and Rutgers joining the league before they actually did? People talk, idk, its just what I was told at the time.

It is against NCAA rules, which is why Meyer owes Bielima and Delaney a big thank-you if its true.

I personally find it easier to believe than I Bielima publicly calling out another coach for flipping a commit (which is not an "SEC-tactic", burners on the other hand....) - and then meeting Delaney over the matter. Something with that just doesn't add up in my eyes.... Either way, by doing what he did, Bielima put the public spot-light on Meyer without actually accusing him of NCAA violations.
Based on Biemela's history and the competitiveness of the sport (and the NCAA's belief that coverup is worth than any other offense), I cant imagine him not turning over evidence to the NCAA unless he had no evidence and just wanted to stir the pot.

If true, it needs to be investigated. IMO, circumventing recruiting rules with a burn phone should be considered worse than players selling their own property, and a coach violating recruiting rules should be punished (never been a fan of taking things further than the actual violators)

Old 01-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouseblue View Post
What is this guy, part of Al Queda.
not sure where you are heading with this? burn phones are used by many groups and individuals as they are untraceable, anyone from cheating spouses, intelligence officials, criminals, terrorists, etc use them. No different than getting a trac phone and not registering it