Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > BigTen Fever > The Tailgate

Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
mjp28
Administrator

vCash: 1700
mjp28 will become famous soon enough
Newspaper NHL REACH 10 YEAR AGREEMENT with 8 year opt out provision

NHL REACH 10 YEAR AGREEMENT with 8 year opt out provision

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...e-nhls-new-cba

At last.

And certainly not without some of the oddest and most frustrating derailments and pitfalls in sports labor history.

We’re going to live with this document for the next decade, so might as well get to know it.

Let’s take a look at some of the components of this deal and the history behind how those elements came to be:

•Ten-year term with an opt-out at eight years.
Call this a win for the league/owners. All along the league wanted a longer term on the CBA than the NHLPA, especially executive director Donald Fehr. The union was stuck at five years for the longest time before moving to eight years in early December. Finally over the past week, the players' association moved to 10 years but wanted an opt-out after Year 7. In the end, the league got exactly what it wanted here. And frankly, I’m not sure any player in the league really cares. This was more of a thing for Fehr than his players in terms of trying to limit the term.

•Year 2 salary cap at $64.3 million, with the floor at $44 million.
This was the most divisive issue and the one that ultimately took until the 11th hour to finally iron out. No surprise it was such an important cog in this CBA.......CONTINUED IN ESPN LINK......

Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
ThePinkUnicorn
Hata's gonna hate!

vCash: 900
ThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to behold
I personally haven't noticed the lack of NHL on TV. I have no interest in it. My opinion would probably be different if there were at least one team (besides semi-pro.) here in Iowa. Hopefully this means less womens baskeball on TV? Who am I kidding... I'll still change the channel.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Drocks
Forum Moderator

vCash: 200
Drocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud of
It'd be nice to see that almost $200 million of contracts the Wild just signed on the ice some time this year.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
The only time I care about hockey is when there's a good fight or when the Red Wing's are in the championship. Otherwise, it's kind of like every other sport besides college basketball or college football.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
ThePinkUnicorn
Hata's gonna hate!

vCash: 900
ThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
The only time I care about hockey is when there's a good fight or when the Red Wing's are in the championship. Otherwise, it's kind of like every other sport besides college basketball or college football.
You just admitted to being a bandwagon fan. Go figure...

Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
hoosiersbaby

vCash: 500
hoosiersbaby is a jewel in the roughhoosiersbaby is a jewel in the roughhoosiersbaby is a jewel in the roughhoosiersbaby is a jewel in the rough
So happy!!!! As a Chicago sports fan, I needed this. The Bulls aren't exciting and won't be until D Rose is back, and the Bears flamed out and are finished and baseball is still almost 2 months away from starting.

The Blackhawks may not be so great this year but I can't wait to watch them!
hoosiersbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
Buckingham_U
Chief Drunkard

vCash: 100
Buckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud of
HOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHO CKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCK EYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEY HOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHO CKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCK EYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEY HOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEYHOCKEY. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Can't wait. I had this season pegged for dead.

Everyday is a great day to be a Badger.

"I just returned from the greatest college sports town in the nation... Madison, Wisconsin." ~Scott Van Pelt
Buckingham_U is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
onlinepole

vCash: 500
onlinepole will become famous soon enoughonlinepole will become famous soon enough
For me Hockey never left, between all the college hockey games broadcast on CBS and Fox Sports along with the AHL(Chicago Wolves), there's plenty to watch and see besides the league with 3 lockouts in the last 18 years. When the Big 10 starts playing conference hockey, expect interest to be huge. Hope that Illinois and Indiana will add D1 teams.
onlinepole is offline   Reply With Quote