Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
B1G

vCash: 500
B1G is on a distinguished road
Time to ask the quesstion

Who did we beat this year?

The best team is probably MSU, maybe Northwestern? Even both of those were close. And I'm sure both fan bases would tell you they're not a lot above average this year.

The really quality teams - Alabama, Notre Dame, Nebraska, OSU... 0-4.

So I wonder how far we have come? Right now I have trouble thinking we are more than just above average.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
It's hard to get a really good read on how good this year's team was. Beat everyone they were supposed to beat; lost to everyone they were supposed to lose to, I think. The bowl game will tell us a lot.

I think the defense was solid; I think the offense took a huge step back this year. Really, really hope Toussaint can come back healthy, because without him I don't think we have a single above-average back on the roster. I'm sure a lot of the RBs' failures go on the O-line, as well.
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Guaransheed

vCash: 1600
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerm View Post
It's hard to get a really good read on how good this year's team was. Beat everyone they were supposed to beat; lost to everyone they were supposed to lose to, I think. The bowl game will tell us a lot.

I think the defense was solid; I think the offense took a huge step back this year. Really, really hope Toussaint can come back healthy, because without him I don't think we have a single above-average back on the roster. I'm sure a lot of the RBs' failures go on the O-line, as well.
A little unfair in my opinion. Norfleet is as electric as they come. Drake Johnson could turn into something special with his speed and size. Justice Hayes was a HIGHLY sought after guy who's just waiting his turn.

Maybe we should blame some of it on Borges? He's keeps proving me right every time I get a little faith in him.

We were better than Notre Dame, make no mistake. Nebraska as well. Alabama was definitely better than us and I would say OSU was just slightly better, though we certainly could have beat them. So yeah we lost 4 times but 2 of those we got unlucky or our one decent offensive player played the worst game of his entire life.

When you factor in losing Ryan, Mike, David, and some other stuff from last year. It's actually amazing how the defense stayed so good. The offensive line was going to take a hit because David was a huge part of the success.

I would say we're bordering just below "above average." But I would also laugh at anyone who thinks Nebraska is a really quality team. Yes, they're good. But really quality? Wait until they play in the Rose Bowl. No offense because Nebraska was one of the top Big Ten teams this year, but that's not saying a ton.

Overall, Michigan did exactly what was expected of them, even with losing 90% of our offense for what 3 games? I would say that's not bad at all. Especially when we only lost to OSU and Notre Dame by less than a touchdown. You also have to remember we lost one of our best defenders in Countess. You factor Countess AND Fitz into the OSU game and I've got to believe we at least make that a 26-24 game against an undefeated team. Countess in against Notre Dame also makes us closer. That's basically 6 points we would hypothetically lose by to the only two undefeated teams. That's not too shabby at all. I think the Countess loss hurts more than some people realize to be honest. He'll automatically make that defense way better next year if he's back at 100%. Plus, not having Fitz in the OSU game hurt. So really it wasn't a bad season at all.

And not going to jump on one of my rants but if we had a half-way decent coordinator with both of them healthy then I'd bet on Michigan beating both OSU and Notre Dame. Now, where could we find a halfway decent coordinator.....
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
desertrat218

vCash: 2000
desertrat218 is a jewel in the roughdesertrat218 is a jewel in the roughdesertrat218 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
A little unfair in my opinion. Norfleet is as electric as they come. Drake Johnson could turn into something special with his speed and size. Justice Hayes was a HIGHLY sought after guy who's just waiting his turn.

Maybe we should blame some of it on Borges? He's keeps proving me right every time I get a little faith in him.

We were better than Notre Dame, make no mistake. Nebraska as well. Alabama was definitely better than us and I would say OSU was just slightly better, though we certainly could have beat them. So yeah we lost 4 times but 2 of those we got unlucky or our one decent offensive player played the worst game of his entire life.

When you factor in losing Ryan, Mike, David, and some other stuff from last year. It's actually amazing how the defense stayed so good. The offensive line was going to take a hit because David was a huge part of the success.

I would say we're bordering just below "above average." But I would also laugh at anyone who thinks Nebraska is a really quality team. Yes, they're good. But really quality? Wait until they play in the Rose Bowl. No offense because Nebraska was one of the top Big Ten teams this year, but that's not saying a ton.

Overall, Michigan did exactly what was expected of them, even with losing 90% of our offense for what 3 games? I would say that's not bad at all. Especially when we only lost to OSU and Notre Dame by less than a touchdown. You also have to remember we lost one of our best defenders in Countess. You factor Countess AND Fitz into the OSU game and I've got to believe we at least make that a 26-24 game against an undefeated team. Countess in against Notre Dame also makes us closer. That's basically 6 points we would hypothetically lose by to the only two undefeated teams. That's not too shabby at all. I think the Countess loss hurts more than some people realize to be honest. He'll automatically make that defense way better next year if he's back at 100%. Plus, not having Fitz in the OSU game hurt. So really it wasn't a bad season at all.

And not going to jump on one of my rants but if we had a half-way decent coordinator with both of them healthy then I'd bet on Michigan beating both OSU and Notre Dame. Now, where could we find a halfway decent coordinator.....
While you slam Nebraska repeatedly in this post I can't help but smile as I remember beating Michigan by 2 TDs! Nebraska also held Michigan to zero TDs and less than 200 yards of total offense, 188 yards to be exact. Add to that the penalties....3 for 44 yards against Michigan but 8 for 104 yards against Nebraska. Carry on, if nothing else your mindless rants are amusing.
desertrat218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
OSUBuckeye4Life
Forum Moderator

vCash: 100
OSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud of
No team plays with key injuries...LOL.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Bighouseblue

vCash: 500
Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
8-4 was exactly where I thought we would end up. Yeah, I was holding out hope that we would beat one or two of ND, Nebraska or OSU, but deep down I knew those would be really tough road games.

No disrespect to Nebraska, but I really feel this is the game we gave away, with the coaches refusal to even try Devin Gardner at QB. OSUB4L is right, no team goes through a season without injuries, but when Denard went down, and Devin did such a great job replacing him, you've got to wonder what could have been had Devin played in Lincoln.....but that is our own fault.

Sheed: At times this season, I felt your criticism of Al Borges was too much, but I have to admit he needs to take a large share of the blame for the OSU loss. To only get the ball into Denards hands 4 times in the second half, is a travesty. I did not like the plays when Denard lined up as a QB, but they should have ran more with Devin at QB and Denard at TB.

And lets not let our line(s) off the hook. I felt another key reason we lost to OSU, was our failure to get any running game going, and the OSU inside runs. I blame our O-line and D-line for those two factors.
Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
geigerm

geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Maybe all of that's true, but if these guys are so special, why didn't they beat out the guys in front of them? Rawls seems like Hopkins 2.0--a mediocre plodder with little ability to find a hole. Smith stinks, and always has. I'm assuming his pass protection skills are the only reason he sees the field.

As you said, I do think we missed Molk in the run game a lot more than we realized we would. And sure, I'm happy to blame Borges, too.

I'll agree that there are backs on the roster with some promise, but, at least for this year, nobody showed that they're anything more than average. Norfleet may be electric, but guys that small usually need to find open space to show that speed. I know there have been some small lead backs, but they're few and far between. Hayes might be the guy, but "waiting his turn" is BS--if the guy's good enough, he should see the field. For some reason, the coaches felt he wasn't ready. Johnson ... well, I don't feel like dealing with "could be special" at this point.

Quote:
I don't see the point in talking about being "better" than teams we lost to. We lost. End of story. Sure, we could have won those games. We could have lost the close ones we won, too. Should Air Force, MSU, and Northwestern say they were "better" than us?

8-4 seems like an accurate representation of how good this year's team was. I'm very optimistic about the future but see no need to sugarcoat the losses.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
geigerm

It does seem like we'll have a chance to see a solid SEC bowl opponent--every projection I've seen has us ending up in the Capital One Bowl. I've seen Florida, Georgia, or Texas A&M forecast as an opponent. It'll be interesting to see how that all plays out.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Guaransheed

vCash: 1600
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Florida and Georgia are both overrated. Would love to play Florida though. Easily the most overrated team all year.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
HuskerFan
Forum Moderator

vCash: 100
HuskerFan has a spectacular aura aboutHuskerFan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Florida and Georgia are both overrated. Would love to play Florida though. Easily the most overrated team all year.
Georgia overrated? How? The beat LSU and South Carolina at home and won at Texas A&M and Florida State. I don't see how they are overrated beating all four of those teams.
HuskerFan is offline   Reply With Quote