Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #81
Dances With Gophers

vCash: 100
Dances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really nice
I'm guessing Ga Tech will be #15 either UNC or Virginia be #16. Ga Tech for TV revenue AND a strike deep into the heart of SEC country (recruiting in-roads, anyone?)
Dances With Gophers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #82
Bighouseblue

vCash: 500
Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
I also like adding NC and GT, because it will take away from the ACC and Notre Dame!
Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #83
Dances With Gophers

Dances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really nice
From a friend:

Quote:
I wonder how much what the B1G is doing is seeking to re-create the whole revenue of college athletics by creating an alternative to the NC$$-- at least in football.

A quick background note-- the NC$$ makes next to nothing from football-- it does not sponsor anything of value at the D-1 level (unless you count NDSU's championships as a big deal), and the other divisions don't really make any substantial money for the NC$$ either. The reality is that all the money that goes to the NC$$-- and is split among the conferences and divisions and funding the non-revenue sports-- comes from Men's Basketball, and to a lesser extent, Baseball, Hockey, Lacrosse and Soccer-- pretty much in that order. The BCS is a joint venture between the conferences and the bowls, and the NC$$ makes nothing from it. Put into business terms, the BCS is a trade union that controls about 90% of the revenue of all college football, and carefully designed to avoid monopoly problems.

The B1G now may be getting big to create its own separate "league" of identical-value schools bent on maximizing their value equally between them. The Big 12, for example, is different-- Texas and Oklahoma make more than, say, Iowa State, because of Texas' media contract and their value to the league, so Iowa State is willing to fork that over in exchange for being in the conversation (and conference) with Texas. That does not fly in the B1G--- as no matter how putrid our football has been over the past 40 years, we still make the same conference revenues as Ohio State and Michigan. Combine that with the academic focus and the B1G has been more stable than any other conference other than the Pac-12 (who has geography limiting its changes yet has a strong academic mission as well).

At the end, if the B1G were to join with the Pac-12 in football and say, screw what the SEC is doing-- we're going to create our own "club" for football of student-athletes done the right way, such would hold a TON of sway in the whole paradigm. No longer would the BC$ hold muster as the national championship when most of the revenue in college football goes through the North and the West, no matter how good Alabama, LSU and Auburn have been recently. Thus, the B1G controls the conversation and can limit the access that Appalachian State and NDSU to sniff the big time, not to mention such would really screw the Boise States and Nevadas-- who don't have access to the big time conferences.

I am not convinced this is the case, but I have been toying with it since the UNC news came out-- in which case I could see UVa, GaTech and Florida State added. And if that happens, does Notre Dame reconsider? Maybe. Unless Notre Dame really wants to play Iowa State and Baylor instead.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #84
Hosker

Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
I wonder how willing Georgia and Florida's presidents/ADs are to hold out on allowing the SEC to offer GT and FSU.

I understand that the SEC doesn't gain much of anything with those schools as far as TV-footprint and stuff, but they do have a lot to lose if the B10 gains a Ga market, and then the B12 gains two schools in Fla., not to mention SC, KY, and NC.

If the SEC could pull UNC, then I could maybe see them letting GT and FSU go, but if not, I see that as a crippling move for them.... The B12 would have more of a presence than the SEC in both TX & FL at that point, as well as sharing states such as SC, NC, and probably KY. Maybe TN if they want Memphis for Bball.... Or maybe they would enter B10 territory at that point with Cincy & Pitt, to give WVU (and Louisville) some regional partners.

And the B10 would have the ATL market added, as well as probably sharing VA and/or NC with the SEC.

Thats bad business for the SEC if you ask me.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #85
Buckingham_U
Chief Drunkard

Buckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
I wonder how willing Georgia and Florida's presidents/ADs are to hold out on allowing the SEC to offer GT and FSU.

I understand that the SEC doesn't gain much of anything with those schools as far as TV-footprint and stuff, but they do have a lot to lose if the B10 gains a Ga market, and then the B12 gains two schools in Fla., not to mention SC, KY, and NC.

If the SEC could pull UNC, then I could maybe see them letting GT and FSU go, but if not, I see that as a crippling move for them.... The B12 would have more of a presence than the SEC in both TX & FL at that point, as well as sharing states such as SC, NC, and probably KY. Maybe TN if they want Memphis for Bball.... Or maybe they would enter B10 territory at that point with Cincy & Pitt, to give WVU (and Louisville) some regional partners.

And the B10 would have the ATL market added, as well as probably sharing VA and/or NC with the SEC.

Thats bad business for the SEC if you ask me.
I doubt GT gets offered by the SEC. They used to be in the SEC, and left on their own. It would be like if the B1G offered ND, except take away ND's history and glamour. They just don't bring anything to the table for the SEC. Tech holds zero of the Market in ATL. ATL is a UGA/SEC town all the way(if you need proof, just look at the fact that GaDOT offers florida gators/Auburn Tigers/Alabama Crimson Tide/Tennessee Vols plates, in addition to UGA and Tech) We would get on tv there, sure. But i don't see us pulling any viewers away from the SEC.

Personally, if i'm the SEC, i offer FSU and UNC/VT. Strengthen the FL market, and move into Virginia or bring in a BB power in UNC.

Everyday is a great day to be a Badger.

"I just returned from the greatest college sports town in the nation... Madison, Wisconsin." ~Scott Van Pelt
Buckingham_U is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #86
Hosker

Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
My point is more about the money the SEC lets the B10 take.... The SEC is clearly going to lose the battle as far as TV-revenue, but I don't think they can afford to let the B10 or B12 get a foot into the GA or Fla markets.

I agree about the viewers and interest level, the B10 will always be second fiddle, but why would the SEC let us have a fiddle in their 2nd best market in the first place? and/or also allow the B12 the opportunity to gain two teams in their best market?... Even if they gain a NC and Virginia team, they are still losing ground in that scenario in my eyes.

And even though the B10 and B12 would/will always be 2nd fiddle to recruits in the region, both conferences would be a step up from the ACC in terms of football. And would certainly be tougher to out-recruit than the ACC in the long-run.

I really think the SEC would be dumb to not invite FSU and GT, unless they manage to pull UNC.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #87
Hosker

If I was the SEC I would either:

A) Do everything in my power to gain UNC

or

B) Try to work with the B10 & P12 and raid the B12, thus keeping the ACC alive.

If they work kill the B12, then they would be able to maintain the status quo in the south, which is working well for them, by keeping the B10 & B12 out and the lack-luster ACC in.

SEC: OU and OSU
P12: TX, TT, Baylor, TCU
B10: two of KU/WVU/KSU/ISU/ND/Virginia
ACC: WVU, Cincy, UConn, or whoever the other leftovers are.

I know it won't happen, but if I was the SEC, that would be my goal.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #88
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
I didn't read through this thread a whole lot, but the Big Ten did officially offer UNC a spot in the Big Ten.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #89
Dances With Gophers

Really? Can you please post the link(s)? WOOOO!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #90
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Gophers View Post
Really? Can you please post the link(s)? WOOOO!
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...orgia-tech-acc

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports
The #SEC also remains a viable option for #UNC. Legit mutual interest, per multiple sources. Heels a crown jewel of the realignment picture.

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports
Seems to be some confusion. So it’s clear, I’ve reported nothing to the effect that UNC is Big 10-bound; just that Big 10 wants the Heels.

http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/big-ten...ina-whos-next/

Word is UNC does not care and will not accept though.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote