Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > BigTen Fever > Big Ten Forum

Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
I think one big reason this will be happening is that, as Delany said the other day, the Big Ten is moving to 9 or 10 conference games after Rutgers & Maryland join:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ue-games-eight

With each team only playing 2 or 3 non-conference games, wasting one of those on an FCS team makes absolutely no sense.
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Hoosierfan
Defender of The Rock

vCash: 100
Hoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant future
10 conference games would be insane.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfan View Post
10 conference games would be insane.
Absolutely, but if the conference goes to 16 teams, 10 games might make some sort of sense.
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
BLACKGOLD
Champion of the Sun

vCash: 1524
BLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond repute
The more conference games the better IMO. A team should play every opponent in conference if at all possible is my thinking.

Tough? Sure. The B1G needs to get tougher...we have been so pathetic in bowl games for so long its not even a joke anymore.
BLACKGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
HuskerFan
Forum Moderator

vCash: 200
HuskerFan has a spectacular aura aboutHuskerFan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKGOLD View Post
The more conference games the better IMO. A team should play every opponent in conference if at all possible is my thinking.

Tough? Sure. The B1G needs to get tougher...we have been so pathetic in bowl games for so long its not even a joke anymore.
This. I am perfectly fine with 10 conference games. The more the better.
HuskerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #16
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Me too. I'd much rather beat IU and Purdue, then play some mediocre out of conference school.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #17
Hoosierfan
Defender of The Rock

vCash: 100
Hoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant future
For schools like UM, OSU, and UW; there isn't much difference between playing extra conference games and playing out of conference games. For those of us who cheer for bad teams, it would likely put an end to all hope of a bowl game. With the addition of Maryland and Rutgers, there are a couple more teams that IU can beat, but still. It is helpful for us to have a weak non-conference.