Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #71
Hosker

vCash: 500
Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckingham_U View Post
The Emperor speaks:

"The new look of the Big Ten When you add two teams from the East -- Maryland and Rutgers -- I think it's important that you consider the option of determining the divisions by geography," Alvarez wrote. "That only makes sense.

"I thought the Big Ten did a very good job in researching everything from the time that Penn State joined the league. It clearly showed that there were teams that separated themselves from the others.

"But I want to play Iowa every year. I didn't like not playing Iowa the last two years. I know our fans didn't like it either. I want to continue to play Minnesota every year. I also want to play Nebraska every year. That has turned into a natural rivalry for us. Those games are important to our fans because they can travel to the games."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/189324071.html

I can't say that I disagree with the reasoning, its the way I was leaning when NU initially joined the B10. But we're two years in, and I can't say that I have any rivalry type of feelings toward UW. And any feeling I have of wanting to play UW every year is greatly out-weighed by my want/wish to play PSU & UM every year. And those feelings are 10-fold in the scenario that we move toward a completely E/W-split AND get rid of the cross-over game; my mind would explode. Hate it.

I personally hope we stick with something similar to what we currently have... If UW does move over to the Legends division, then I hope UM stays or the cross-over is maintained. If neither of the last two things happen I will be pretty apathetic toward our schedule (again).

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #72
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

vCash: 102000
ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
I can't say that I disagree with the reasoning, its the way I was leaning when NU initially joined the B10. But we're two years in, and I can't say that I have any rivalry type of feelings toward UW. And any feeling I have of wanting to play UW every year is greatly out-weighed by my want/wish to play PSU & UM every year. And those feelings are 10-fold in the scenario that we move toward a completely E/W-split AND get rid of the cross-over game; my mind would explode. Hate it.

I personally hope we stick with something similar to what we currently have... If UW does move over to the Legends division, then I hope UM stays or the cross-over is maintained. If neither of the last two things happen I will be pretty apathetic toward our schedule (again).
My only wish is that "the Game" is a divisional game. A rivalry game should only be played once in a season. the potential of having to beat a team on thanksgiving and then having to beat them the next week cheapens a rivalry game, making the first match-up irrelevant IMO.
Aggie Country Here I come this fall! Gig' Em!
ohiobuckinut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #73
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
It's all about market exposure, Baltimore/DC metro and the NYC/NJ metro. The extra exposure could also help boost recruiting in those areas. That might not be as important to the schools with huge state populations, but it's important for Nebraska!
Except in pretty much any circumstance Nebraska will pretty much never play Maryland and Rutgers.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #74
Buckingham_U
Chief Drunkard

vCash: 100
Buckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud of
Quote:
Its not about the funds for NU, we have the support and the facilities (It is nearly complete!! ).... Its about the bridges with UNO that would need to be burned for it to happen. We aren't going to start a hockey program if its going to kill the only profitable program UNO has.

I think things are going to work out in the end though.
I hope it wouldn't kill UNO's program, but i could see it help them. They not only get to play the CC/DU/UNDs every year, but they get to play instate rival Lincoln too. It reminds me a lot of the relationship Wisconsin has with Wisconsin-Milwaukee in basketball. Don't forget, UNO actually has a pretty good program right now, don't think that just because you guys start up a program it will automatically kill theirs.

Everyday is a great day to be a Badger.

"I just returned from the greatest college sports town in the nation... Madison, Wisconsin." ~Scott Van Pelt
Buckingham_U is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #75
Hosker

Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckingham_U View Post
I hope it wouldn't kill UNO's program, but i could see it help them. They not only get to play the CC/DU/UNDs every year, but they get to play instate rival Lincoln too. It reminds me a lot of the relationship Wisconsin has with Wisconsin-Milwaukee in basketball. Don't forget, UNO actually has a pretty good program right now, don't think that just because you guys start up a program it will automatically kill theirs.
Its about more than just killing UNO's hockey program, its about killing the entire UNO athletic department.

UNO's AD earned a grand total of $900 profits in 2012. Hockey earned $230,000 and barely covered the other teams' bills. If NU started a D1 hockey team, we easily effect UNO's hockey program by more than $900 virtually over night, but especially in the long run.

UNO's fan-base would be cut in half too. They would certainly have fans in Omaha, but they would probably lose close to 100% of their fans from around the state, and I'd be surprised if their Omaha fan-base wasn't hit hard too. Even most UNO students grew up as Husker fans, so they may cheer the Mavs on when their in school, but after graduation, most would likely still support the Huskers on game day.

I think UNO could field a competitive team and maintain the level of play their at if NU had a team, but some cautionary steps definitely need to be taken before NU does anything.... IDK what steps need to be taken, but something needs to be done.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #76
Buckingham_U
Chief Drunkard

vCash: 100
Buckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud ofBuckingham_U has much to be proud of
Quote:
Its about more than just killing UNO's hockey program, its about killing the entire UNO athletic department.

UNO's AD earned a grand total of $900 profits in 2012. Hockey earned $230,000 and barely covered the other teams' bills. If NU started a D1 hockey team, we easily effect UNO's hockey program by more than $900 virtually over night, but especially in the long run.

UNO's fan-base would be cut in half too. They would certainly have fans in Omaha, but they would probably lose close to 100% of their fans from around the state, and I'd be surprised if their Omaha fan-base wasn't hit hard too. Even most UNO students grew up as Husker fans, so they may cheer the Mavs on when their in school, but after graduation, most would likely still support the Huskers on game day.

I think UNO could field a competitive team and maintain the level of play their at if NU had a team, but some cautionary steps definitely need to be taken before NU does anything.... IDK what steps need to be taken, but something needs to be done.
If Nebraska could kill UNO's hockey program simply by creating their own, how have they not also killed Creighton's basketball program? Some of the kids will cheer for Nebraska, sure, but i don't think it would cut the program's fanbase in half unless you actually field an elite team. No one is going to stop watching their own school(who is doing well) to watch a team that is terrible. Caustionary steps are make sure to schedule a series with UNO every year. That alone will increase attendance and exposure for UNO(on top of the 6 nationally televised games they had this year). This will help with recruiting and home game attendance. Don't forget, UNO is in an elite conference for Hockey right now, having won 7 of the past 12 national championships. They will continue to draw talent as long as they win. If they continue to win, they will continue to make money.

EDIT: Also, i totally get your concern. If UNO was an independent like Alabama-huntsville, or stuck in a subpar confrence like the AHA, i'd be worried too. But having the ability to play hockey powers like DU/CC/UND in confrence every year, as well as schedule Non-cons like Wisconsin/Minnesota/Michigan and an instate rival in Nebraska every year will help them grow even more. Add the fact that they will play several games a year on NBC(if this past year is any indication) as well as on the BTN and they are in an excellent spot to grow by leaps and bounds the next few years.

Everyday is a great day to be a Badger.

"I just returned from the greatest college sports town in the nation... Madison, Wisconsin." ~Scott Van Pelt

Last edited by Buckingham_U; 02-05-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Buckingham_U is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #77
Bighouseblue

Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports
Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.
Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #78
HuskerFan
Forum Moderator

vCash: 200
HuskerFan has a spectacular aura aboutHuskerFan has a spectacular aura about
I like UNC to the B1G. I would like to see them and Duke, even though I'm sure a lot on here are going to kill me wanting Duke to the B1G. If not Duke, then Virginia seems to make sense to me.
HuskerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #79
ThePinkUnicorn
Hata's gonna hate!

vCash: 900
ThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFan View Post
I like UNC to the B1G. I would like to see them and Duke, even though I'm sure a lot on here are going to kill me wanting Duke to the B1G. If not Duke, then Virginia seems to make sense to me.
I would assume Duke isn't going to happen. Especially if coach K's attitude is any reflection on their stance of a move to the Big Ten. However, if UNC accepts... you never know. I would bet on Georgia Tech and Virginia. Those two aren't anything to get excited about, but they're hell of a lot better additions than Rutgers and Maryland.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #80
Bighouseblue

Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
I like NC in the B1G, because at least they are half way decent in football. That Raleigh, Durham, and Charlotte TV market would be huge.

I also like the idea of Georgia Tech. They said if Georgia Tech joins the B1G, Atlanta would be the second largest TV market in the conference, behind Chicago.

I also like both of these schools, in that they would give us a nice foothold in the south. However it would forever change the mid-western feel and attributes to the conference (although I wonder if that is what Delany is going for).
Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote