Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > BigTen Fever > The Tailgate

Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
BLACKGOLD
Champion of the Sun

vCash: 1524
BLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond repute
One argument in his defense that I have heard...and do find some believability in is this:

IF, he really just met this chic online, never met face to face, just this "internet romance", all they ever did was chat/tweet/text/etc...there is a bit of a social sigma that one would associate with a friendship/romance like that. So...it wouldn't be shocking for someone in that scenario to bend the truth a bit to save some face.

Would a guy...not just a guy...a big tough football player guy, really be telling his friends: "yeah, I have this girl that I've never seen in real life, but we talk on the phone all the time, tweet/text/chat/email online all the time. She's great! I'm in love. I mean, I've never seen more than a picture of her, but thats ok, she's still great."

No. No one would admit that. So...he'd lie a little. And honestly, in that scenario...I wouldn't fault him too much for lying a little about the details.

People that meet on Match.com or other shit like that do it all the time. For some reason, people are embarrassed about it...so they make up a story. "oh, we met at a bar.", "oh, we met at a Stanford football game."

HOWEVER...I'm not saying I buy any of it. The big problem I have with that scenario is that in today's day and age...technology being what it is...webcams, Skype, Facetime, Chat-sites, etc, etc. Not EVERY having even seen her face, even via the interwebs...highly unlikely IMO.
BLACKGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
desertrat218

vCash: 2000
desertrat218 is a jewel in the roughdesertrat218 is a jewel in the roughdesertrat218 is a jewel in the rough
desertrat218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
Ross Mackey

vCash: 750
Ross Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post

Not sure where you're going with this... are you suggesting that belief in God is the same thing as making up a girlfriend, then lying about her existence?
Ross Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #24
mjp28
Administrator

vCash: 1500
mjp28 will become famous soon enough
I actually kinda' feel for the guy....he's got years to live this out.

.....or a movie and book deal?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
desertrat218

vCash: 2000
desertrat218 is a jewel in the roughdesertrat218 is a jewel in the roughdesertrat218 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Mackey View Post

Not sure where you're going with this... are you suggesting that belief in God is the same thing as making up a girlfriend, then lying about her existence?
I see it as making fun of religion, or the belief in an imaginary figure.
desertrat218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
Ross Mackey

Ross Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp28 View Post
I actually kinda' feel for the guy.....
of COURSE you do --tasty doma kool-aid and all....

Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #27
mjp28
Administrator

Quote:
of COURSE you do --tasty doma kool-aid and all....
No I meant as a human being on the feel sorry part.

And as money guy from the book and movie deal part, hey he might make more than just first or second round NFL Draft money.

No Kool Aid, just greenbacks.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
Ross Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp28 View Post
No I meant as a human being on the feel sorry part.
Funny where peoples' priorities lie...

I feel sorry for human beings like Declan Sullivan and Lizzy Seeberg-- not for some no-neck moron obsessed with trying to burnish his image; Teo is proof positive that intelligence is NOT required to succeed spectacularly in football at Doma U.

But please don't let me rain on your little hero worship pity party--Keep guzzling that Doma kool aid...

Last edited by Ross Mackey; 01-27-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
mjp28
Administrator

Quote:
Funny where peoples' priorities lie...

I feel sorry for human beings like Declan Sullivan and Lizzy Seeberg-- not for some no-neck moron obsessed with trying to burnish his image; Teo is proof positive that intelligence is NOT required to succeed spectacularly in football at Doma U.

But please don't let me rain on your little hero worship pity party--Keep guzzling that Doma kool aid...
D'UH, read what I said again, personally I think he really screwed up not checking this out further. Better yet here's EXACTLY what I wrote:

.......I actually kinda' feel for the guy....he's got years to live this out.

.....or a movie and book deal?
Kinda', slang for kind of, need a dictionary? Plus I joked about a book and movie deal. You're a Purdue guy I'm sure you can figure that out, right?

And hero worship? Football players? Are you kidding? Some are brilliant, some just average, some are just dumb jocks, I've known a lot of them.

Oh, and what's all the hate for Notre Dame from "some" Indiana people? Strange.

Last edited by mjp28; 01-27-2013 at 11:13 PM.
mjp28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #30
ThePinkUnicorn
Hata's gonna hate!

vCash: 900
ThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to behold
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8882384

Dr. Phil interview with the hoaxer.