Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > BigTen Fever > The Tailgate

Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
BLACKGOLD
Champion of the Sun

vCash: 1524
BLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
Tom Brady does it? Let me put it this way if it's the difference between being a starter on a pretty good team or being a drifter in the NFL, which do you think a young guy is going to choose? I imagine he'll find some people willing to work for it, especially if they're successful.
I imagine on a team of 11 offensive players (more with rotations, but you get me I think)...including the insane ego's and pay scales of some of the skill players...coupled with the insane weights, pay checks, and injury risks of lineman...I struggle to believe that you would get an NFL offensive unit to buy into Chip's system.

I could be wrong. It would be cool to see. I just have a hard time believing he can get a group of ultra-ego, overpaid, prima-donna assholes to buy into his system of racing to the line after every down and quick-snapping into the next play over the entire course of a game.

It works with the college kids because they have to motivation of trying to one day be good enough to be one of those ultra-ego, overpaid, prima-donna assholes. They just aren't there yet.

Not to mention...NFL defense's are much more athletic and probably can defend against it better. Although, part of the strategy is to not allow substitutions, resulting in tired defense and mismatches to try and attack...still...at the NFL level the players are better suited to defend against it.
BLACKGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
yaya551
Administrator

vCash: 30657
yaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond repute
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...football-coach

Quote:
As usual, the Ducks wasted little time finding a replacement for Chip Kelly, promoting their affable offensive coordinator to head coach Sunday. Kelly left to become coach of the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday.

Helfrich is the third straight offensive coordinator at Oregon to be promoted to the top job, following Kelly and his predecessor, Mike Bellotti.

The 39-year-old Oregon native signed a five-year deal with the Ducks for a reported $9 million. His promotion does not come as a surprise: Even before Oregon defeated Kanas State in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, the Ducks' quarterbacks guru was considered the front-runner as Kelly's successor.

"Going forward we will attack in all phases. We'll embrace innovation and we'll strive to do our best to win each and every day," Helfrich said at a news conference Sunday afternoon where he was supported by players including quarterback Marcus Mariota and running back De'Anthony Thomas.

Helfrich, who embodies Oregon's "Next Man In" philosophy of substitution without skipping a beat, became offensive coordinator of the Ducks when Kelly took over four seasons ago. The Ducks have appeared in BCS bowls each of those four years, including an appearance in the national championship game against Auburn in 2011.
yaya551 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKGOLD View Post
I imagine on a team of 11 offensive players (more with rotations, but you get me I think)...including the insane ego's and pay scales of some of the skill players...coupled with the insane weights, pay checks, and injury risks of lineman...I struggle to believe that you would get an NFL offensive unit to buy into Chip's system.

I could be wrong. It would be cool to see. I just have a hard time believing he can get a group of ultra-ego, overpaid, prima-donna assholes to buy into his system of racing to the line after every down and quick-snapping into the next play over the entire course of a game.

It works with the college kids because they have to motivation of trying to one day be good enough to be one of those ultra-ego, overpaid, prima-donna assholes. They just aren't there yet.

Not to mention...NFL defense's are much more athletic and probably can defend against it better. Although, part of the strategy is to not allow substitutions, resulting in tired defense and mismatches to try and attack...still...at the NFL level the players are better suited to defend against it.
Yeah I'm not suggesting that he'll be a world beater. But we're talking a difference of like 4 seconds on average per snap taken off. It's not like that's a huge, huge difference. As you said, it's more about not letting subs get in. I think he can make it work with the Eagles, because as someone already pointed out, they're already one of the fastest teams.

Once again though, I think he'll have to make some adjustments, but I believe he'll do it. He's an offensive genius, though I have no idea why he hired Shurmur to be his OC.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
Once again though, I think he'll have to make some adjustments, but I believe he'll do it. He's an offensive genius, though I have no idea why he hired Shurmur to be his OC.
I'm guessing Shurmur is the OC in name only, while Kelly will probably call the plays. Shurmur's probably going to serve as a position coach, too--he has a lot of experience as a QB coach.
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
BLACKGOLD
Champion of the Sun

vCash: 1524
BLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond repute
I think the pace that he runs his offense has a few goals. One of them is just to not allow the defense to substitute and matchup. Another is to get the defense tired...and its two-fold...tired right now, in this drive...and then tired as shit by the 2nd half/4th quarter.

In the NFL, I think both of those would work and work well...IF he could get his guys to buy into the system.

However...I have serious doubts you can get NFL players to buy into it. Ego's, drama, paychecks...NFL players don't work hard if they can help it is my feeling...they got their payday. They work just hard enough. Giving above and beyond is not their style. And its all about style in the NFL.
BLACKGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
onlinepole

vCash: 500
onlinepole will become famous soon enoughonlinepole will become famous soon enough
Don't be surprised when he drafts many of the players he coached at Oregon and looks specifically for players who will buy into his system. Will be very interesting. Remember too that NFL contracts are not guaranteed, if you aren't performing the way they want you to, you can be gotten rid of after 1 year. Not like that in the other pro leagues
onlinepole is offline   Reply With Quote