Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
yaya551
Administrator

vCash: 30657
yaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond repute
Joe Paterno vigil set

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...day-year-death

Quote:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- From bumper stickers to signs posted by a few businesses to the occasional T-shirt, reminders of Joe Paterno sprinkle Happy Valley.

Most cues are subtle enough to make an outsider look twice. Like the decals with the outline of the bespectacled Paterno's distinctive face, or the shirt with the image of the longtime Penn State coach's trademark look of rolled-up khakis and sneakers.

A year after his death, Paterno and a reputation tarnished in the aftermath of the child sex abuse scandal involving retired assistant coach Jerry Sandusky remain sensitive topics for groups of alumni, former players, staffers and community residents.

The Hall of Fame coach died of lung cancer on Jan. 22, 2012, at age 85. On Tuesday -- exactly a year after his passing -- community residents have organized a vigil at a downtown mural that includes a depiction of Paterno.

A family spokesman has said the Paternos would not take part, and remain in privacy.

Their supporters, though, spoke up at a recent meeting of the university's Board of Trustees.

Most critics are angered by how school leaders handled Paterno's ouster as coach and the explosive findings of the internal investigation led by former FBI director Louis Freeh that put part of the blame on Paterno.

Others say the school hasn't done enough to honor a 46-year career in which Paterno was known for focusing on academics and philanthropy as well as football.

"The university should lead the way and not sit in silence," said Ed Stine, 62, of Gaithersburg, Md., a member of the alumni watchdog group Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship. He was one at least one of at least four dozen audience members who applauded or praised speakers who paid tribute to Paterno at the meeting.
yaya551 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
SDUmpire

vCash: 500
SDUmpire is just really niceSDUmpire is just really niceSDUmpire is just really niceSDUmpire is just really niceSDUmpire is just really nice
The first step I took in believing the truth in several abuse stories I was hearing about that took place years ago in a religious group I was involved in was to put myself, as best I could, in the place of an abused person and picture how bad the experience had to be...kind of like an intense daydreaming. That got me to the point of not being convinced, but absolutely having to find out for sure whether or not these stories were true. Eventually, my friend's book that came out in 2008 finally convinced me that her account...and others...were true; having gone through the same conditions at the same time and place she did, and spending time alone with the same leader who abused her repeatedly. I even got a minor taste of it myself (from a couple of female peers) but only after her book came out was I finally convinced of the horrors that had happened to her, just about under my nose (abusers hide their abuse as well they can, as we know about Sandusky). In short, I was pretty hard headed for a while. Her book rang so many bells because we had gone through so much of the same stuff that my head still rings when I re read parts of it. As I have said before, I know that nobody is jumping at any desire to know my personal history, but my point in this posting is...I think the FIRST step in curbing abuse is for everyone...including the powers that be...to try to know as best they can how horrible an abused person's experience is. Yes, only an abused person REALLY knows...but anybody with honesty and sincerity in them can do a lot better than just ignoring the horrors. I think a lot of people at Penn State...AND many other places...have no idea and make no attempt to imagine how bad the experience of abuse is. I don't cast stones at Paterno because I know how stubborn I have been in the past, but I can't block those thrown by others. I picture myself praising Paterno's accomplishments, many of which were real (the religious leader I refer to above did some good things too) with a Sandusky abuse victim standing next to me and I think of how that must sound to him. If I have any requests of anyone, it is DO say what you must about the Sandusky abuse and Paterno because it must be said, but also don't stop here. Abuse is a much, much, much, much (and so forth) bigger problem that what happened at Penn State...and that is true even if you limit the subject to sports related abuse.
SDUmpire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
yaya551
Administrator

vCash: 30657
yaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond reputeyaya551 has a reputation beyond repute
Good post SDU, thanks.
yaya551 is offline   Reply With Quote