Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > Team Forums > Ohio State Buckeyes

Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Hosker

vCash: 500
Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckinut View Post
Based on Biemela's history and the competitiveness of the sport (and the NCAA's belief that coverup is worth than any other offense), I cant imagine him not turning over evidence to the NCAA unless he had no evidence and just wanted to stir the pot.

If true, it needs to be investigated. IMO, circumventing recruiting rules with a burn phone should be considered worse than players selling their own property, and a coach violating recruiting rules should be punished (never been a fan of taking things further than the actual violators)
Thats the thing though, if this was the case, Bielima probably didn't have evidence. The NCAA has trouble monitoring this sort of infraction, let alone a HC at another school.... If he had any "evidence" it was only he-said-he-said type of info, and basically worthless as far as proving a NCAA infraction. The next best move was to take it to the B10 and the media so people start looking into it/him in the future.

The way I see it, it was a "fool me once shame on you; fool me twice...." type of situation, and Bielima wasn't about to be played twice.

I haven't heard anything about it for a while, but would be surprised if the NCAA hasn't at least inquired the B10/Wiscy on the matter. They clearly have a file dedicated to Urban Meyer & tOSU; so this situation, whether he used a burner or simply broke a 'gentlemens agreement' would've caught their attention, esp with tOSU already serving some sanctions.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Ross Mackey

vCash: 750
Ross Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie Ginn View Post
Last year when Meyer came on he immediately pulled a couple kids that were going to go to Penn St, understandable considering the problems they were going to face. But Mark Dantonio and Bret Bielema felt like Meyer violated the "gentlemen's agreement" in the B1G which was not to go after kids who had already verballed. Meyer says he just asks the question, if they are solid at another school he doesn't waste his time or the kids.

Well now he has been in contact with class of 2014 (and MSU verbal) WR, Drake Harris. He is an early verbal to Sparty and likely top 10 WR in the class of '14.

I see no problem with this, but a buddy of mine who is a Michigan State die-hard is not very happy with this practice.

Bielema publicly criticized Meyer for last year's actions which saw him flip OL Kyle Dodson from the Badgers to the Buckeyes on signing day.....

Back to the topic, what do you guys think?
I think verbals are meaningless-nothing matters until the signed LOI comes on over the fax.

Kids have no hesitation to use verbals as leverage to get what they want, coaches over recruit and stockpile kids, and are free to jump for a better gig--regardless of what they've told recruits.

I doubt this "gentlemenn's agreement" ever really existed--my gripe is with the fans/boosters who condone and approve poaching on one hand, then turn around and scream bloody murder and harass kids and their families when THEIR VERBALS are poached by another school.
Ross Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
OSUBuckeye4Life
Forum Moderator

vCash: 100
OSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud of
Fair game until thay ask to stop being recruited or signing day...

Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Spartan Pride
Larry Caper

vCash: 200
Spartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond reputeSpartan Pride has a reputation beyond repute
I will say though, the main reason the whole situation is annoying to me is we have an entire group of people to whom the word 'commitment' means nothing.

A recruit doesn't owe anyone anything until they say, "Coach, Im committed to you". Do these people even know what the word means? In what possible way are you committed if you've given a pledge to Texas Tech, are visiting Oklahoma next week, and call Les Miles every night to wish him goodnight?

People are mostly okay with the whole thing because it has become expected.
Spartan Pride is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Ross Mackey

vCash: 750
Ross Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Pride View Post
I will say though, the main reason the whole situation is annoying to me is we have an entire group of people to whom the word 'commitment' means nothing.

A recruit doesn't owe anyone anything until they say, "Coach, Im committed to you". Do these people even know what the word means? In what possible way are you committed if you've given a pledge to Texas Tech, are visiting Oklahoma next week, and call Les Miles every night to wish him goodnight?

People are mostly okay with the whole thing because it has become expected.
For every recruit who verbally "commits" then turns around and entertains other offers, there's a coach who leaves for greener pastures after promising a recruit he's "there for them"...even worse, you have situations like Tuberville at Cincy, who flat-out invalidated the verbals which the prior coach there had secured; literally told the kids "sorry, we don't want you here now"

Again, nothing matters until the signed LOI is received--it's not the best reflection on our society, but the sooner people lose this notion that verbals mean anything, the better off they'll be, IMO.
Ross Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
mjp28
Administrator

vCash: 1275
mjp28 will become famous soon enough
"All is fair in love and war".....can we also add the big business of NCAA football? After all the NCAA D1-A football machine is just that besides being the minor leagues for the NFL, and the NFL just loves that deal.

Or maybe go back in time several decades and pretend NCAA football is an amateur sport played by "student atheletes" for the love of the game and school. "Gentleman's agreements", really?

Oh BTW right now I'm watching the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl Game PRESENTED BY WINNOL on ESPN. And virtually nobody is in the stands!

Let's call all this recruiting exactly what it is, the NCAA Draft...with scouts and somewhat shady loose rules.

....NATIONAL 20 AMERICAN 0 3rd Quarter.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
Beanie Ginn

vCash: 500
Beanie Ginn is on a distinguished road
Burner phones, lolwat?

I never heard that one. The Wire haha