Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #41
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBuckeye4Life View Post
Four divisions of five.
Still a little ridiculous to call yourself a "conference" at that point, in my opinion, but that's an organization that makes a little more sense. We'd then end up with "conference playoffs" just to determine the conference champion, but whatever works.

If that's the direction CFB is going, we have no choice but to go along ...
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
OSUBuckeye4Life
Forum Moderator

vCash: 100
OSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud ofOSUBuckeye4Life has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerm View Post
Still a little ridiculous to call yourself a "conference" at that point, in my opinion, but that's an organization that makes a little more sense. We'd then end up with "conference playoffs" just to determine the conference champion, but whatever works.

If that's the direction CFB is going, we have no choice but to go along ...
Think NFL as far as those types of divisions...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #43
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
Wow, you're really out there aren't you? I understand you simply did not get the meaning of my post, and also understand you have actually never traveled to see a game.
If BHB's response wasn't relevant, then I also didn't get the meaning of your post ... could you clarify? I get that travel would be a heck of a lot harder if half your division games required you to go out to the other edge of the conference--that makes sense. But I agree with his first point--nobody, not the conference or the other schools, is thinking about the travel experience for fans of each school. I don't think that's any sort of factor in this whole mess.
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
Bighouseblue

vCash: 500
Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
Wow, you're really out there aren't you? I understand you simply did not get the meaning of my post, and also understand you have actually never traveled to see a game.
You could not be more wrong.

Quote:
If BHB's response wasn't relevant, then I also didn't get the meaning of your post ... could you clarify? I get that travel would be a heck of a lot harder if half your division games required you to go out to the other edge of the conference--that makes sense. But I agree with his first point--nobody, not the conference or the other schools, is thinking about the travel experience for fans of each school. I don't think that's any sort of factor in this whole mess.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not saying that it wouldn't suck for the fans, but the B1G is not concerned about it. They are not going to factor that into their decision making. The only way it would be a factor, is if it cost them money.
Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #45
onlinepole

onlinepole will become famous soon enoughonlinepole will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Because sanctions have always hurt so many other schools? USC certainly seems like they were floored by theirs.

Would you have expected PSU to go 8-4 this year? OSU, in the aftermath of Tressel leaving--a much less serious situation--could only manage a 6-7 record in 2011, and I'd argue they had a more talented team than PSU this year. So far, O'Brien looks like a pretty darn good coach.

We'll see what happens at PSU, but I'm not so sure doom and gloom is inevitable for them. And putting them on the same level as Minnesota is ridiculous.

I don't dispute that Fitzgerald is a good coach, but here's Northwestern's record under him:

2006 4-8
2007 6-6
2008 9-4
2009 8-5
2010 7-6
2011 6-7
2012 9-3

Don't you think NW fans thought they were trending up back in 2008, too? Seems much more likely that they will consistently be mediocre, with a very good year every once in a while.

I think that same description applies to the ceiling of every other team in the Michigan-Wisconsin division you have set up--and that's the best case scenario. That's why I say the divisions are unbalanced.

Obviously, things could change--there's nothing to stop any of the supposed mid-level programs from climbing up and becoming a consistent conference power--but, right now, those schools are at a disadvantage.
As a Wildcat fan, what is particularly encouraging is that while there were some tough losses this year, the Cats did pull out some wins in the 4th quarter as well (Vandy). Also, most of the key contributors will be back next year with another year of experience.

Further, Fitz's energy seems to be attracting better talent than what he was getting his first couple years or most classes for Randy Walker. I expect next year to a 10 win year.
onlinepole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #46
onlinepole

onlinepole will become famous soon enoughonlinepole will become famous soon enough
What would make this realignment easier on everyone is to just go to 16 and get it over with. It's pretty plain to me that that is what the leadership really wants and it would make scheduling easier. Add a 9th conference game and instead of 2 divisions, have 4 pods of 4 and try to keep it regional if possible

What 2 teams would I add, Duke & UNC. Huge hoops and baseball upgrade and Duke has improved quite a bit on the gridiron as well; not to mention that both are very solid academically.

Pod 1
Nebraska
Iowa
Minny
NU
Pod2
Wisky
Purdue
Michigan St
Penn St
Pod 3
Ohio St
Rutgers
UNC
Duke
Pod 4
MI
Maryland
Illinois
Indiana

Make the conference title a 4 team playoff at the end of the regular season. Teams with the best overall records get to host the first round while the title game goes to Indy or whatever city is chosen to host it. This should still give B10 teams enough time to prepare for bowls. Most B10 teams play around NYD anyway.
onlinepole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #47
Dances With Gophers

Dances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really nice
The first round of the 4-team playoff would have to count against the 12-game regular season cap (*assuming no Hawai'i exception appleis). Which means that teams couldn't schedule more than 11 games each season just in case. Which means less $$$ for schools. Which means 4-team playoff won't happen unless the NCAA changes its rulebook. Which is like passing a bill through Congress. Which is just wishful thinking.
Dances With Gophers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #48
Dances With Gophers

Dances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really nice
Dances With Gophers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #49
Bighouseblue

Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
The B1G is asking for the fans input....

http://btn.com/2012/12/13/take-the-s...do-you-prefer/

Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #50
HuskerFan
Forum Moderator

HuskerFan has a spectacular aura aboutHuskerFan has a spectacular aura about
I hope they go with either a north/south or east/west divisions. Although, If you go with east/west then they west is going to be much more competitive at this time. It reminds me all too much of the Big 12 north/south divisions.

I really hope the B1G adds two more teams ASAP and goes with 4 four team divisions. I would rather them go ahead and add 2 more teams right now so all four teams can start conference play in 2014 at the same time.
HuskerFan is offline   Reply With Quote