Old 11-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #101
ohiobuckinut
Administrator
 
ohiobuckinut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,028
vCash: 102500
ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerm View Post
Best of luck to him--can't blame him for leaving. Apparently he "announced" this in a Facebook post (got this from this article):



At the risk of sounding like an elitist asshole (which I'll freely admit I am when it comes to academics), I don't think political science is considered an "insanely hard degree." Maybe it is by football player standards, though.
I have a political science degree and wouldnt consider it hard by any stretch either. you get out what you put in IMO. you can make it harder or more challenging depending on the courses you take. I chose to take several pre law and graduate level classes where the primary difficulty was the amount of reading and depth of information..

I dont think most bachelors degrees are overly difficult, some are technical in nature but challenging is simply a degree IMO as everyone's aptitude and entry level knowledge in a program varies
__________________
Concealed Carry Permit Holder
Former member of the Utah State University Rugby Club Team
8 year Air Force/Iraq war Veteran
Aggie Country Here I come this fall! Gig' Em!
ohiobuckinut is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #102
ohiobuckinut
Administrator
 
ohiobuckinut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,028
vCash: 102500
ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouseblue View Post
I didn't know it was Poli-Sci either. I assumed he was in some type of engineering program, or pre-med.
those may be considered harder, but like I said, much depends on the person. I had friends at Utah State in engineering who thought it was easy (mainly because it came naturally to them and they were generally pretty bright) If I had gone to college right out of HS, I may have done engineering as calculus wasnt difficult to me.

If someone has difficulty writing and reading, a poli sci degree may be very difficult for them
__________________
Concealed Carry Permit Holder
Former member of the Utah State University Rugby Club Team
8 year Air Force/Iraq war Veteran
Aggie Country Here I come this fall! Gig' Em!
ohiobuckinut is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #103
Guaransheed
Senior Member
 
Guaransheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 1600
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerm View Post
Best of luck to him--can't blame him for leaving. Apparently he "announced" this in a Facebook post (got this from this article):



At the risk of sounding like an elitist asshole (which I'll freely admit I am when it comes to academics), I don't think political science is considered an "insanely hard degree." Maybe it is by football player standards, though.
I guess I didn't realize it was political science. I was just relaying info that I had read. But as ohio pointed out, poli sci could be "extremely hard" to someone.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #104
ohiobuckinut
Administrator
 
ohiobuckinut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,028
vCash: 102500
ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
I guess I didn't realize it was political science. I was just relaying info that I had read. But as ohio pointed out, poli sci could be "extremely hard" to someone.
but as a rule, I wouldnt call it difficult.

has anyone seen a list of nation break down of college athletes/ football players and their degrees by %?
__________________
Concealed Carry Permit Holder
Former member of the Utah State University Rugby Club Team
8 year Air Force/Iraq war Veteran
Aggie Country Here I come this fall! Gig' Em!
ohiobuckinut is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #105
geigerm
Senior Member
 
geigerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Absolutely agree that how difficult a degree is depends on the person--very few people are good at everything, so if you enroll in a field that doesn't fit you, it's going to be difficult. With that said, there are probably fields that would be difficult for a larger percentage of the population than others.

I haven't seen a breakdown--I can find a couple of articles about specific schools or subsets of schools, but that's about it right now.
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #106
Guaransheed
Senior Member
 
Guaransheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 1600
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
David Dawson has received word that he has been re-offered after having a "heart-to-heart" with coach Hoke. I think he realized he made a mistake in de-committing, though I certainly don't blame him for looking around. I knew for some reason he wouldn't like Florida and then he'd be in a hard place since Michigan wouldn't honor his commitment anymore since he wasn't open and honest about it in the first place.

But, he's since talked with coach Hoke as I said and he's coming in for a visit on December 14. Would love for him to recommit and I definitely believe he will. Michigan also has 3 other 2013 lineman coming in that day who were all recently offered.

Looks like it'll come down to Dawson, Green, McQuay, Treadwell, Conley, Lacy, and maybe a few outside back-up plan kind of guys to fill the last few spots. I think we end up with Dawson most likely, then Green, then it's a 50-50 with McQuay(I'll go on the record saying I like our chances), Treadwell is pretty split between schools and many have said if he was coming to Michigan he would have done it by now. Conley is either OSU, Michigan or Oregon(most believe he wants an Oregon offer and would take it. Would select Michigan over OSU, at least that's the word). Lacy is a recent new offer, though if there's a spot I think he could commit on the 14th.

I'm not sure if the staff would take Dawson back AND Lacy but if Lewan leaves then maybe. I'll say the 3 most likely we get I think are Dawson, then Green, then Conley. If Conley gets an Oregon offer then replace him with McQuay. Then Lacy, who could be higher is staff will take both on December 14th. Realistically we could be looking at 4 people wanting to commit with only 3 spots(a 4th one is pretty likely to open up though).
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #107
Dances With Gophers
Senior Member
 
Dances With Gophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA! USA! USA!
Posts: 464
vCash: 100
Dances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really nice
Bachelor of Arts = *yawn*

Bachelor of Science = now you're talkin'.
Dances With Gophers is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #108
Bighouseblue
Senior Member
 
Bighouseblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,038
vCash: 500
Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
David Dawson has received word that he has been re-offered after having a "heart-to-heart" with coach Hoke. I think he realized he made a mistake in de-committing, though I certainly don't blame him for looking around. I knew for some reason he wouldn't like Florida and then he'd be in a hard place since Michigan wouldn't honor his commitment anymore since he wasn't open and honest about it in the first place.

But, he's since talked with coach Hoke as I said and he's coming in for a visit on December 14. Would love for him to recommit and I definitely believe he will. Michigan also has 3 other 2013 lineman coming in that day who were all recently offered.

Looks like it'll come down to Dawson, Green, McQuay, Treadwell, Conley, Lacy, and maybe a few outside back-up plan kind of guys to fill the last few spots. I think we end up with Dawson most likely, then Green, then it's a 50-50 with McQuay(I'll go on the record saying I like our chances), Treadwell is pretty split between schools and many have said if he was coming to Michigan he would have done it by now. Conley is either OSU, Michigan or Oregon(most believe he wants an Oregon offer and would take it. Would select Michigan over OSU, at least that's the word). Lacy is a recent new offer, though if there's a spot I think he could commit on the 14th.

I'm not sure if the staff would take Dawson back AND Lacy but if Lewan leaves then maybe. I'll say the 3 most likely we get I think are Dawson, then Green, then Conley. If Conley gets an Oregon offer then replace him with McQuay. Then Lacy, who could be higher is staff will take both on December 14th. Realistically we could be looking at 4 people wanting to commit with only 3 spots(a 4th one is pretty likely to open up though).
I read a lot of the stuff on Dawson, and I agree that he will most likely go to Michigan.

Monte Kiffen was the main recruiter of McQuay to USC, and now he has resigned. I think we have a really good shot at McQuay and Green. I am counting Treadwell out.
Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #109
Guaransheed
Senior Member
 
Guaransheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 1600
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouseblue View Post
I read a lot of the stuff on Dawson, and I agree that he will most likely go to Michigan.

Monte Kiffen was the main recruiter of McQuay to USC, and now he has resigned. I think we have a really good shot at McQuay and Green. I am counting Treadwell out.
Pretty much exactly how I'm feeling.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #110
Guaransheed
Senior Member
 
Guaransheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 1600
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
This morning recruiting round up Sam Webb said if he had to guess today our class would close with Green, Dawson, Dawson, and Hunt, or another linebacker.

The 2 Dawson's would be the former commit David and Illinois commit Reon. Many people seem to believe Reon was going to try to get to U of M this weekend, even though he had another visit already scheduled. They also believe if he makes it in, he's basically going to commit.

Anyways this would mean our class closes with a 5 star, 2 4 stars, and a 3 star I believe. I'll take it.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.