Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > BigTen Fever > Big Ten Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

 
Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #31
B1G
Senior Member
 
B1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
B1G is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
I haven't heard anything, but I don't see that happening at all. No way UNC and Duke split up.

I'd love to see KU join though. Both because they're fun games to go to, but because it'd put some pressure on the Texas-10-pack.
I think that's more of an emotional reaction from college basketball fans than reality. UNC will do what UNC has to do to benefit UNC. It's a tremendous rivalry, but they won't jeorpardize their realignment position for it. Who knows, they may even enjoy sticking their rival like this. Remember, A&M ditched Texas with no regard for the viability of the Big 12.

Anyway, it wouldn't be that tough to continue scheduling them OOC in basketball.
__________________

Last edited by B1G; 11-22-2012 at 03:44 PM.
B1G is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Hosker
Senior Member
 
Hosker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1G View Post
I think that's more of an emotional reaction from college basketball fans than reality. UNC will do what UNC has to do to benefit UNC. It's a tremendous rivalry, but they won't jeorpardize their realignment position for it. Who knows, they may even enjoy sticking their rival like this. Remember, A&M ditched Texas with no regard for the viability of the Big 12.

Anyway, it wouldn't be that tough to continue scheduling them OOC in basketball.
That could be, nothing is certain at this point in conference realignment.... But UNC v Duke is the biggest and most important basketball rivalry in the entire nation. There isn't any better rivalry in the nation. Texas v aTm doesn't compare, it wasn't even the premier rivalry in the conference, let alone the nation.

Both schools and the conferences that they end up in would be stupid to allow the two to be split... Its possible, I just don't think it will happen.

UNC and Duke being split up would be the equivalent of UM and tOSU splitting into different conferences. It simply cannot be allowed to happen.
__________________
And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it -- FearAmeer
Hosker is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #33
B1G
Senior Member
 
B1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
B1G is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
That could be, nothing is certain at this point in conference realignment.... But UNC v Duke is the biggest and most important basketball rivalry in the entire nation. There isn't any better rivalry in the nation. Texas v aTm doesn't compare, it wasn't even the premier rivalry in the conference, let alone the nation.

Both schools and the conferences that they end up in would be stupid to allow the two to be split... Its possible, I just don't think it will happen.

UNC and Duke being split up would be the equivalent of UM and tOSU splitting into different conferences. It simply cannot be allowed to happen.
Tell you what, if leaving OSU behind was what it took to keep Michigan part of a power conference, I'd do it, even if it cost the rivalry. And OSU would do the same. That sucks, but rivalries have been a casualty in all this.

North Carolina is pretty attractive, but not so much they can demand they bring along another school - assuming they even consider having Duke that important.

Take the B1G as an example - I think it's quite possible they invite NC and I'd be very surprised if they include Duke. Two basketball games a year is not enough to justify another mouth to feed that brings nothing else to the table.

My two cents.
__________________
B1G is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #34
Hosker
Senior Member
 
Hosker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1G View Post
Tell you what, if leaving OSU behind was what it took to keep Michigan part of a power conference, I'd do it, even if it cost the rivalry. And OSU would do the same. That sucks, but rivalries have been a casualty in all this.

North Carolina is pretty attractive, but not so much they can demand they bring along another school - assuming they even consider having Duke that important.

Take the B1G as an example - I think it's quite possible they invite NC and I'd be very surprised if they include Duke. Two basketball games a year is not enough to justify another mouth to feed that brings nothing else to the table.

My two cents.
Your right, the B10 is really only interested in UNC(and we'd be dumb enough to offer just the one), Duke brings less to the table for the B10 than we really want; but what do you think they'll do when they both get an offers from the B12 for a ACC/B12 merger? Or the final two spots in the SEC? Split up?

If the Texas 10-pack comes calling, UNC/Duke/FSU/GT/Miami/Clemson will all stop and listen before splitting up completely.... And if they don't get that type of deal by the B12, that probably means the ACC simply isn't going to die, and they will all stick together anyway.... UNC alone, is not a realistic option, imo.

An ACC/B12 merger (even a B12/BigEast merge) also kills the chance for the P12 to raid the B12... Meaning the P12 will be the little guy at the big guy's table. That isn't good business for the B10. We need to get KU(or both UNC and Duke) and send the B12 into a tail-spin so the P12 to get Texas & OU. Before Texas & OU get UNC, FSU, Duke, and Clemson. My two cents..... A B12/ACC merger also means that all of the current B12 schools would have a [television]foothold on the east coast, something the B10 definitely doesn't want to happen.
__________________
And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it -- FearAmeer

Last edited by Hosker; 11-23-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Hosker is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #35
B1G
Senior Member
 
B1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
B1G is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
Your right, the B10 is really only interested in UNC(and we'd be dumb enough to offer just the one), Duke brings less to the table for the B10 than we really want; but what do you think they'll do when they both get an offers from the B12 for a ACC/B12 merger? Or the final two spots in the SEC? Split up?

If the Texas 10-pack comes calling, UNC/Duke/FSU/GT/Miami/Clemson will all stop and listen before splitting up completely.... And if they don't get that type of deal by the B12, that probably means the ACC simply isn't going to die, and they will all stick together anyway.... UNC alone, is not a realistic option, imo.

An ACC/B12 merger (even a B12/BigEast merge) also kills the chance for the P12 to raid the B12... Meaning the P12 will be the little guy at the big guy's table. That isn't good business for the B10. We need to get KU(or both UNC and Duke) and send the B12 into a tail-spin so the P12 to get Texas & OU. Before Texas & OU get UNC, FSU, Duke, and Clemson. My two cents..... A B12/ACC merger also means that all of the current B12 schools would have a [television]foothold on the east coast, something the B10 definitely doesn't want to happen.
Holy crap, the ultimate irony staring me in the face and I'm too dense to see it - you're a Nebraska fan! When you came to the B1G, you didn't try to insist anyone be brought along and you sacrificed your rivalry game. It was simply what was best, long term, for Nebraska. Great move for you and the B1G.

That's why I pretty much disagree with your notion of a Big 12 package deal because of the ACC teams "sticking together". I honestly think the B1G and SEC are more desireable than the Big 12, and schools like UNC and Ga Tech will be far more interested in a better conference and less in who they bring along. It's every school for themselves. That's how I see it, anyway.
__________________
B1G is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #36
Hosker
Senior Member
 
Hosker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
None of NU's B12-rivalries compare to UNC v Duke, certainly not at the national level. None were even in the ball park.
__________________
And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it -- FearAmeer
Hosker is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
Dances With Gophers
Senior Member
 
Dances With Gophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA! USA! USA!
Posts: 466
vCash: 100
Dances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really niceDances With Gophers is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
None of NU's B12-rivalries compare to UNC v Duke, certainly not at the national level. None were even in the ball park.
Maybe not for basketball. Football, on the other hand...you couldn't PAY me to watch UNC v Duke. OK v. Texas is awesome. As was Mizzou vs. Kansas (DEEP hatred there). In fact, Vitale himself ranked Kansas vs. Mizzou in his top 3 rivalries.

Duke-UNC rivalry didn't really emerge on the scene until Christian Laettner in the late 80's. I remember those teams, with Hurley, Grant...man they were fun to watch. But before then? /fart noise. Mizzou and Kansas can trace their hatred back to the Civil War. Now THAT'S a rivalry.
Dances With Gophers is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #38
Hoosierfan
Defender of The Rock
 
Hoosierfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Assembly Hall, Bloomington, IN
Posts: 4,199
vCash: 100
Hoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant future
IU vs UNC or IU vs Duke could be a pretty sweet yearly matchup though.
__________________
Basketball may have been born in Massachusetts, but it grew up in Indiana.
óJAMES NAISMITH
Hoosierfan is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
Hosker
Senior Member
 
Hosker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Hosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura aboutHosker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Gophers View Post
Maybe not for basketball. Football, on the other hand...you couldn't PAY me to watch UNC v Duke. OK v. Texas is awesome. As was Mizzou vs. Kansas (DEEP hatred there). In fact, Vitale himself ranked Kansas vs. Mizzou in his top 3 rivalries.

Duke-UNC rivalry didn't really emerge on the scene until Christian Laettner in the late 80's. I remember those teams, with Hurley, Grant...man they were fun to watch. But before then? /fart noise. Mizzou and Kansas can trace their hatred back to the Civil War. Now THAT'S a rivalry.
I loved the KU v Mizzou rivalry, it was one of my favorites.
__________________
And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it -- FearAmeer
Hosker is offline   Reply With Quote

 
Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #40
Drocks
Forum Moderator
 
Drocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 200
Drocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud ofDrocks has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Gophers View Post
Maybe not for basketball. Football, on the other hand...you couldn't PAY me to watch UNC v Duke. OK v. Texas is awesome. As was Mizzou vs. Kansas (DEEP hatred there). In fact, Vitale himself ranked Kansas vs. Mizzou in his top 3 rivalries.

Duke-UNC rivalry didn't really emerge on the scene until Christian Laettner in the late 80's. I remember those teams, with Hurley, Grant...man they were fun to watch. But before then? /fart noise. Mizzou and Kansas can trace their hatred back to the Civil War. Now THAT'S a rivalry.
Yep, as a KU fan, can't stand Mizzou...it's not quite Wisconsin or Iowa for me, but it's close
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt2i0ts-uck
Drocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.