Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > BigTen Fever > The Tailgate

Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #41
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

vCash: 101000
ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKGOLD View Post
I think it is absolutely fair.

Who gives a fuck if their opponents were SUPPPOSED to be better teams. How does that matter?

Sure...it means they attempted to schedule tough teams. Fair enough. But they didn't actually play the tough teams.

Right now, today...notre dame's schedule is shitty. The teams they have played and beaten...shitty. Period.
Doesnt it hurt ND though as far as strength of schedule for not being in a conference? essentially, ND is a OOC game for all these schools , many of which have their own tough in conference schedules. Teams in a conference arent hurt by this method as during in conference games, the schedule will naturally result in a .500 record.

Every win ND gets lowers their SOS. This is not the case with teams in a conference. In addition, teams that lose to ND fall further than teams that lose to Bama, thus making the appearance that Bama's schedule was more difficult
Aggie Country Here I come this fall! Gig' Em!
ohiobuckinut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #42
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Sagarin ranks ND 33rd in strength of schedule. Bama is 30th. Only 2 of their top ten have top 10/20 SOS. Only 4 in the top 25.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Here is another where ND has the 18th ranked SOS.
http://www.gberatings.com/sos/

Much of the arguments of SOS are based on perception and perhaps bias, not reality when you actually look at the schedules

Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #43
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckinut View Post
Long before, grew up farming in Ohio and have lived in TX for 10 years (military and school)
Maybe you just never say it on here, or maybe I just felt like giving you the business.

Quote:
Doesnt it hurt ND though as far as strength of schedule for not being in a conference? essentially, ND is a OOC game for all these schools , many of which have their own tough in conference schedules. Teams in a conference arent hurt by this method as during in conference games, the schedule will naturally result in a .500 record.

Every win ND gets lowers their SOS. This is not the case with teams in a conference. In addition, teams that lose to ND fall further than teams that lose to Bama, thus making the appearance that Bama's schedule was more difficult
I get your point and the math makes sense (obviously), but I feel like there's something wrong with that argument. Should SOS for teams in a conference be based solely on non-conference games, since all conference records must come out to be .500?
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #44
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerm View Post
Maybe you just never say it on here, or maybe I just felt like giving you the business.

I probably say it more than I type it, generally I am responding to one poster and not several.

I get your point and the math makes sense (obviously), but I feel like there's something wrong with that argument. Should SOS for teams in a conference be based solely on non-conference games, since all conference records must come out to be .500?Just saying that it needs to be accounted for. Obviously SOS is not flawless.
see red

Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #45
mjp28
Administrator

vCash: 1596
mjp28 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Didn't yall claim that TX A&M would get raped by Bama as well?
Wasn't that a night game in ALA-BAMA?

You never know.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #46
BLACKGOLD
Champion of the Sun

vCash: 1524
BLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond reputeBLACKGOLD has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

I don't think I would characterize their schedule that way at all. Their SOS can ebb and flow just like any other school.

I think they are at a disadvantage by not being in a conference because they can't actually "win their conference". Can't get recognition for a Conference Championship, and no benefits that might go with it. Beyond that...I'd say they actually have MORE of an advantage in scheduling than any other school really. They have complete control of their scheduling...not at the mercy of a conference, not forced to play any specific team.

Now...how those teams ultimately turn out over the course of the season...yeah...no control of that. No team can control that.

Over the years I am always irked about when people try to say nd's schedule is so great year-in-year out. They always seem to trick people into buying the bullshit that they schedule tough. Most of the time there is 1 or 2 stand-out opponents (often USC), and beyond that not great. Most years you get a mix of real crap...Purdue, Navy, Army, Syracuse, Pitt, BYU, BC, G.Tech...teams like that....and one tough game to hang your hat on.

Its not different than most other programs...and yet everyone buys the bullshit that nd schedule's "tough". Those same people probably believe that Rudy is a true story too.
BLACKGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #47
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp28 View Post
Wasn't that a night game in ALA-BAMA?

You never know.
Afternoon game.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #48
onlinepole

vCash: 500
onlinepole will become famous soon enoughonlinepole will become famous soon enough
A ND national championship appearance will help their recruiting particularly in the Midwest which will be to the detriment of Big 10 teams, If by some chance they win the game, You will not hear the end of it and their recruiting will be on steriods.
onlinepole is offline   Reply With Quote