Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > BigTen Fever > Big Ten Forum

Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
therevK29
Administrator

vCash: 2500
therevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond repute
Another wide open TD for UM...

42-10

Old 11-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
ThePinkUnicorn
Hata's gonna hate!

vCash: 900
ThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to beholdThePinkUnicorn is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by therevK29 View Post
I loved that last series... your down 25 points, so let's grind out 3 yards and throw an incompletion.
Story for the year.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #23
Bighouseblue

vCash: 500
Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
Anyone want to complain about Al Borges offensive game plan?

The guy did a masterful job, really had Iowa on their heels all day! The way they used Denard was brilliant!
Bighouseblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouseblue View Post

The guy did a masterful job, really had Iowa on their heels all day! The way they used Denard was brilliant!
Yes--clearly his game plan got Toussaint hurt.

In all seriousness, I think one of the things we've seen is that Borges' offense works much better with a more accurate QB who makes the passing game an actual weapon. Gardner's emergence has, in part, made Denard's shortcomings even more obvious.

I do think it was a very smart game plan, and I think he's probably got more dual QB stuff up his sleeve for this weekend. It'll be interesting to see how all of that works against a much better defense in OSU.
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:

He did an OK job, the fact that Iowa didn't know how to play defense also helped him out. Most people could have called a good game against the wreck of a defense. I've said though, he clearly seems to be better with a more pocket passer kind of guy behind center. One that can actually beat you with his arm, plus has the ability to run if he needs to. I think Gardner is a great QB to work with Borges. The problem is he's paid to work with what he's got and he didn't up until now, when Denard wasn't able to throw the ball. For what he gets paid and for his job description, I think there's certainly other coordinators that are WAY better. But, he's got some good ideas when he has a guy that fits his system a little better.

I was at the game and there were at least 2 other times where Michigan had guys wide open down the field and Gardner was too slow on his reads or had a lineman in his face somewhat. Iowa looked horrid on defense. Specifically I remember Roundtree being wide open by 10 yards on the 20 yard line or so on the visiting sideline. Iowa just played horrid defense. How much of that is Borges gameplan? Or Devin keeping defenses honest by himself? Or Iowa just flat out being terrible? Probably a good combination of it all, but Borges is an alright coordinator. We could have worse I suppose. Just wish he'd work a little better with what he was given.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
geigerm

vCash: 4500
geigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud ofgeigerm has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
I was at the game and there were at least 2 other times where Michigan had guys wide open down the field and Gardner was too slow on his reads or had a lineman in his face somewhat.
Not surprising, given that the guy's making his 3rd collegiate start and was playing WR all year before Denard got hurt. Missing 2 or 3 of those situations is not bad for a college QB--heck, it's not bad for a lot of NFL QBs.
geigerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
Bighouseblue

Bighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud ofBighouseblue has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerm View Post
Borges' offense works much better with a more accurate QB who makes the passing game an actual weapon.
Imagine that!

I don't think Michigan punted, until late in the 3rd quarter!

The triple reverse was awesome, and so was the throw-back screen to Vincent Smith!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:
Imagine that!

I don't think Michigan punted, until late in the 3rd quarter!

The triple reverse was awesome, and so was the throw-back screen to Vincent Smith!
Some of those plays were very cool. It's too bad Smith decided to hold on every single one of them basically. The best play of the game though was the screen to Denard where he bobbled it and then ran back across the field and got a huge gain.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
Bighouseblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
It's too bad Smith decided to hold on every single one of them basically.
Yeah, V Smith struggled with that on Saturday. But I also thought some of those calls were very "ticky-tack".

Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #30
therevK29
Administrator

vCash: 2500
therevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond reputetherevK29 has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa's complete inability to play defense certainly helped the cause. It was men against boys out there on Saturday.