Illinois Fighting IlliniIndiana HoosiersIowa HawkeyesMaryland TerrapinsMichigan WolverinesMichigan State SpartansMinnesota Golden GophersNebraska CornhuskersNorthwestern WildcatsOhio State BuckeyesPenn State Nittany LionsPurdue BoilermakersRutgersWisconsin Badgers

Go Back   BigTenFever > Team Forums > Indiana Hoosiers

Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Guaransheed
Administrator

vCash: 200
Guaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really niceGuaransheed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckinut View Post
While I agree you had a great season, I think it is a bit presumptuous to say you SHOULD be a final four team. There are just too many factors involved. While it is a possibility, it seems early to make this claim. Seems like you are setting yourself up for disapointment, just like all those who demand a NC in football each year.
Don't try to temper the expectations of an IU fan. This team they're bringing together will be the best EVER. DUH.
Guaransheed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
ohiobuckinut
Administrator

vCash: 101000
ohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to allohiobuckinut is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
Don't try to temper the expectations of an IU fan. This team they're bringing together will be the best EVER. DUH.
Reminds me of Minnesota fans with Glen Mason. Winning seasons and making it to bowl games wasnt enough. I am still amazed that many of their fans feel they should be competing annually for Big Ten Championships if not winning them and should be in the national championship picture.

The again, there are many Buckeye fans who believe 10 win seasons are below average, that we should be in the NC hunt every year, and that any loss can be considered a fire-able offense. I feel bad for Meyer, I know fans who will lable him a bust if he doesn't bring us 2-3 national titles in his first 5 years
Aggie Country Here I come this fall! Gig' Em!
ohiobuckinut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
The Hoosier Express

vCash: 1600
The Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaransheed View Post
Cody and Austin are very good friends. They went to just about every football game together, and have done a TON together. So that definitely sounds legit, I don't see him going anywhere. I also was the one who thought he could have and should have been used more this year, but he wasn't. Obviously, I was wrong about that, but I don't think he necessarily would transfer. I wouldn't be completely shocked though if he did. Highly doubtful though he probably is the best candidate like you say.

Remy would be dumb to transfer, he made a good impact this year and will have a bright future there. Yes, there is some good recruits coming and some talent ahead of him, but he was also a good recruit and has talent himself. He'll be fine and he played as a true freshman, so I doubt he transfers as well. He'll find a good role somehow for the next few years.

Which kid do you think will go to prep school? Will any of them actually agree to doing that? Do they have to? I honestly don't know a ton about the situation and don't really wanna look it up, because I assume you guys know.

With Watford staying and the class coming in, Indiana could actually be pretty legit next year. The Big Ten will probably be the toughest it's been in MANY years though so they'll have to be one top of their game every single night if they want to contend.
I do like what I've seen from Austin in his very limited minutes but yeah, it is just going to be tough for him to get on the court much. Who knows though, maybe he can carve out a niche for himself.

Agree on Remy.

There have been two kids in the 2012 class who have been rumored to be prep school possibilities: Buss Patterson and Peter Jurkin. Now when the Buss to prep school rumor came out, he immediately shot it down on Twitter. I haven't seen him play but a lot of folks think he could be a hidden diamond in this class (Yogi, Jeremy & Hanner get more of the hype it seems). To me it seems like Peter is the most likely candidate. I'm not 100% sure how the prep school thing works but Jurkin seems to be mentioned the most in that regard. Whether that is a true rumor or idle speculation, I am not sure.

In any case, something has to give and allegedly we will know very soon as Jeff Rabjohns alluded to the other day. He acts like he knows what is going to happen but he could be blowing smoke too.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
The Hoosier Express

The Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to allThe Hoosier Express is a name known to all
Quote:
While I agree you had a great season, I think it is a bit presumptuous to say you SHOULD be a final four team. There are just too many factors involved. While it is a possibility, it seems early to make this claim. Seems like you are setting yourself up for disapointment, just like all those who demand a NC in football each year.
To be fair, it isn't just IU fans thinking that way. While I will admit it is waaaaay too early for 2012-13 preseason Top 25 polls, many media outlets have pegged IU as the #1 team in the country already (ESPN, CBS, NBC, etc). Cue Sheed throwing up.

Now I'm not going to say I expect us to be THAT good (the actual best team in the country) but I think it is fair for IU fans to be thinking in terms of a Final Four shot next year. Returning all 5 starters from a 27-9, Sweet 16 team and adding a Top 10 recruiting class to the bench...I mean we should definitely be a F4 threat. And I don't see the point in being afraid of having expectations. Being disappointed is a part of sports but it is the disappointments that make the successes that much sweeter. The fact that IU lost 60+ games over three seasons definitely made this past season that much sweeter. So...Final Four or bust. If we don't get there, fine. I'll deal with it.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
The Hoosier Express

Quote:
Reminds me of Minnesota fans with Glen Mason. Winning seasons and making it to bowl games wasnt enough. I am still amazed that many of their fans feel they should be competing annually for Big Ten Championships if not winning them and should be in the national championship picture.

The again, there are many Buckeye fans who believe 10 win seasons are below average, that we should be in the NC hunt every year, and that any loss can be considered a fire-able offense. I feel bad for Meyer, I know fans who will lable him a bust if he doesn't bring us 2-3 national titles in his first 5 years
Wait, are you seriously comparing Minnesota football to Indiana basketball? Wow, low blow my friend!

I think fans of almost every program have an inflated sense of entitlement (in general terms, obviously individual fans can be more or less reasonable) but the fact is at least with IU basketball, we have a program that historically is considered one of the blue blood programs in college basketball. Yes, it has been a while since we really were consistently on the level of a Kentucky, UNC, UCLA, etc but overall our fan base is always going to be one that expects the current coach to crank out a national championship banner or two during his career. It doesn't mean I'll think Crean sucks as a coach if we don't even make the Final Four next year but my personal expectation is that at some point, he'll get there and win one.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Ross Mackey

vCash: 750
Ross Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond reputeRoss Mackey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hoosier Express View Post
.... but overall our fan base is always going to be one that expects the current coach to crank out a national championship banner or two during his career. It doesn't mean I'll think Crean sucks as a coach if we don't even make the Final Four next year but my personal expectation is that at some point, he'll get there and win one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfan View Post
We were legit last year. With all of our starters coming back and a top 10 recruiting class coming in, we should be a Final 4 team.
wow--lots of bullshit being shoveled in and around Bloomington nowadays

Especially when realty shows that IU was for the most part frightfully bad away from the comfort of its oblong box, flat-out SUCKED defensively for much of the season, and was extremely fortunate to make it out of the first weekend of the Tourney.

Such is the power, apparently, of Clappy's brand of kool-ade: keep chugging it, and all these deficiencies will magically disappear next year, and every close call/game will break IU's way.....
Ross Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
The Hoosier Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Mackey View Post

Especially when realty shows that IU was for the most part frightfully bad away from the comfort of its oblong box, flat-out SUCKED defensively for much of the season, and was extremely fortunate to make it out of the first weekend of the Tourney.

Such is the power, apparently, of Clappy's brand of kool-ade: keep chugging it, and all these deficiencies will magically disappear next year, and every close call/game will break IU's way.....
Yeah, that obviously explains all the media outlets picking IU #1 next year already. Hell I watched Around the Horn yesterday and Jackie Macmullen was touting IU as a #1 team too. But obviously all the major networks are based in Bloomington now.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #18
Hoosierfan
Defender of The Rock

vCash: 100
Hoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant futureHoosierfan has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Mackey View Post

We were clearly worse on the road than at home this year, but that can be said about most teams. We beat 5 tourney teams away from home this year (including NCAA tournament games), that's not too shabby.